Survive the Sound 2024

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Well one more week till they swim...
We have been supplanted at the top by 3 other teams, some corporate losers are now #1 with over a grand, double what we have, then 2 other teams are also ahead of us...thank god we didn't fall behind an elementary school, so....thanks to all who donated, we raised almost 500 bucks for LLTK, so pretty good for a handful of itinerant fly fishers.
:)
It's over for us...but join up and grab a fish whether you donate or not, and perhaps a few of them make it out of the Sound to forage among the high seas and return to peel some line off our reels.
:)
We made it cool. They can’t BE us so they gotta BEAT us.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
So things start Monday, and there is still time to get a fish, join the team.
There is no requirement that you donate, so grab a fish and watch them go.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Brian Mackeral is currently alive and just north of Misery Pt. Go BM!
SF

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
My fish only traveled three miles since yesterday. Interesting that it went from around Seabeck across the canal over to the Toandos Peninsula.
I thought it would have continued north along the shoreline on the east side of the canal rather then crossing open water. Pretty cool to see its movements.
SF

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
The east side of Toandos is a fish highway, both inbound and outbound it seems.
;)

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I think if the fish avoid pinniped predation at the mouth of their natal river, that's a big win on its own and means they at least have a chance!

SeaRunner

Steelhead
My fish only traveled three miles since yesterday. Interesting that it went from around Seabeck across the canal over to the Toandos Peninsula.
I thought it would have continued north along the shoreline on the east side of the canal rather then crossing open water. Pretty cool to see its movements.
SF

Having participated in these since their inception it seems to me like these young steelhead seek open water if they can. Most of the fish I've sponsored have been Duwamish or Nisqually fish, and according to the STS tracker they all swan right up the middle of the Sound over deep water. Very interesting!

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Having participated in these since their inception it seems to me like these young steelhead seek open water if they can. Most of the fish I've sponsored have been Duwamish or Nisqually fish, and according to the STS tracker they all swan right up the middle of the Sound over deep water. Very interesting!

Good info and much appreciated. Very interesting indeed as I thought they'd follow the shoreline on their outmigration.
SF

Tallguy

Steelhead
I also looked at several fish tracks and was surprised how many mostly went right down the middle once they got to open water. My fish is at the mouth of the Duwamish today, hope it survives the next 24-48 hrs. I will feel better once it gets out in the middle and headed north for real.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I also looked at several fish tracks and was surprised how many mostly went right down the middle once they got to open water. My fish is at the mouth of the Duwamish today, hope it survives the next 24-48 hrs. I will feel better once it gets out in the middle and headed north for real.
It shows Bodhi doing a scenic loop around Kellogg Island!

Smalma

Life of the Party
it is interesting in how different those steelhead smolts behave from the sea-run cutthroat and bulls which spend most of their times along the shorelines. Though even when the steelhead are traveling over the deep water they remain relatively shallow (within 20 feet or so of the surface}.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Running for her life from a seal the whole time, most probably.
Yeah, on low tides it gets pretty skinny in there, could be! It's also the most "natural" shoreline in the whole lower river/estuary, so maybe they're just like, "ahhhhhh, this is niiiiiice."