Surprised by some nice fish today

WindKnot

Steelhead
I was itching to get out today, but didn't have enough time to go too far so I explored a nearby spot I suspected might have some bass or other warmwater species. As I walked up to the water, I could see 3 nice fish cruising in the shallows.

I cast my unweighted black polliwog out and on the 3rd cast this one took it and I managed to get it in on my 4x I had been too lazy to change after a recent Deschutes trip. I was surprised with how big she was when I pulled her out of the water. Clearly looked like a female with some unfinished business, so I let her go quickly.
IMG_5189.jpg

I then launched my float tube and managed one more a bit smaller than the first. I was blind casting to structure and this second one showed signs of digging recently.
IMG_5199 (1).jpg

All in all a really fun day out. And a good lesson that we don't always have to go far to find fish. Tight lines.

Jakesmylab

Just Hatched
I was itching to get out today, but didn't have enough time to go too far so I explored a nearby spot I suspected might have some bass or other warmwater species. As I walked up to the water, I could see 3 nice fish cruising in the shallows.

I cast my unweighted black polliwog out and on the 3rd cast this one took it and I managed to get it in on my 4x I had been too lazy to change after a recent Deschutes trip. I was surprised with how big she was when I pulled her out of the water. Clearly looked like a female with some unfinished business, so I let her go quickly.
View attachment 112880

I then launched my float tube and managed one more a bit smaller than the first. I was blind casting to structure and this second one showed signs of digging recently.
View attachment 112881

All in all a really fun day out. And a good lesson that we don't always have to go far to find fish. Tight lines.
Great looking fish. I'm planning on heading on over to Davis in a couple weeks, but your report makes my think I should look locally before then. I've got a couple bodies of water near home that should hold similar fish. Mind sharing a photo of your pattern?