Suggestions for an auto inflatable life jacket?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I'm going to pick up an auto inflate life jacket for use on the boat. Anyone have any suggestions on brand/model? Or is it just one of those "gotta go try them on and see which one fits you" things?

Mustang seems to be the big dog, with a price tag to match. But Bass Pro has a bunch of their own ones that seem well liked (they appear to be relabeled versions of ones made by Onyx).

Anyone have experience with inflatable life vests? All I've ever worn are fishing/rafting style PFDs.

Bajema

Life of the Party
I have an Onyx that I use for fishing in my float tube. It fits fine. My FIL has some West Marine self inflating ones for his boat, they are also fine. I would recommend once you get one, pulling the cord to self inflate it (you’ll need to buy another CO2 cartridge) so you know ahead of time what that’s going to be like. I was surprised at how much it restricted my head/neck movement, but now I know to expect that, rather than being surprised by that while my float tube is sinking.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I have both onyx and mustang. I prefer the onyx since it is narrower, and thus cooler.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I just use an Onyx. works great.

Rvrfisher360

Floatin’
Forum Supporter
I have a couple of mustangs. Comfortable and light. The only other self inflating brand I've used is Cabela's which were definitely less durable. Fabric wear was showing on those after a couple years but my mustang ones look new.

Divad

Whitefish
I have an Onyx M16. Just remember the vests (m24s) use a c02 cartridge and indicator that’s $12 a pop. The m16 belts use the standard 16g cartridge that are cheap, and the replaceable plastic indicator is $1 a piece.

The m16 won’t inflate automatically, rip cord style. Since I wade deep a lot I didn’t want auto, but I’ve already tested it twice and it held myself and waders up no problem.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I tried on an Onyx A/M 24 this afternoon at a local store. I was unimpressed with the fit. It seemed like it was really loose up and down. The only adjustment was the waist/belly belt around my middle. Maybe that's just how these fit? I'm going to try and track down a Mustang and see if they are different.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Interesting I have also been looking at these. Self inflating seems counter productive if your getting wet all the time. What exactly triggers it? Being wet or submerged?

Being unconscious in the water you won’t pull the tag line to ignite the cartridge.

So what’s the best? …..am I missing something?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Self inflating seems counter productive if your getting wet all the time.
I think these are more popular for guys fishing from boats. Not steelheaders wading or crazy float tube fishermen in the rain.

Being wet or submerged?
I think the idea is submerged. But some, especially cheaper ones, have been known to go off in the rain. I suspect that a PNW downpour might set them off as well.

Being unconscious in the water you won’t pull the tag line to ignite the cartridge.
Most of the logic I've heard (again, from guys who race around in boats) is that it's a precaution against hitting your head as you fall, or getting pitched out somehow at high speed. And that's true for me, if I just fall in the water I can swim/tread water just fine without a PFD. If I had a manual vest, I probably wouldn't inflate it. But if I hit my head on the way into the water, I'm really going to want the auto-inflate feature.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well yeah. So I have to admit a couple times wading on certain rivers I have had some huge logs/branches come down the river and some surprise you at times. I’ve been lucky. But if not aware and one hit you. 😬. You want auto inflate. But I don’t want auto inflate if wading a getting a little wet.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
The best of these are made for offshore ocean sailing/racing where you’re wet all the time from heavy spray coming over the rails and water/waves washing over the boat. Also, extreme downpours from sometimes frequent tropical squalls. They are designed to only inflate when you go overboard.
I’ve used a Mustang auto inflatable PFD for years. It’s extremely well made and it fits me well.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Yeah, I actually disabled the auto inflate as per Onyx instructions. I didn't want it accidentally going off. I figure that I'd I bang my head enough to go unconscious with the fishing I do, I'm doing it wrong. I've never even been knocked unconscious either....guess I'm living on the edge. EXTREME FISHING.....with clarkman!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Josh, I went round-n-round looking into these also. I chose the NRS vest instead for one main reason, we want the kids to be good wearing a vest, and grandpa putting on a life jacket at the same time as the kids (instead of the self-inflate waist belts we were using) just makes it normal. I like having a couple pockets and attachment points as well.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I don't mind using a auto inflate vest on still water, or a boat. When I am on moving water, I like to have the real PFD, NRS Chinook life jacket.

As far as attachment points, think your motor cut off lanyard. I guess it's law now you attach it somewhere on your body so when you make high performance turns, hit a wave and it tosses you out of the boat, it cuts the engine so there is no run away boat, or it doesn't come back and mow you down. Actually in your 12 foot boat, it could knock you out pretty quick.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I’ve never had a auto PFD inflate while wearing it regardless of how hard it is raining.
We did have one inflate when my buddy tossed his in the boat on a rainy day. There was a lot of water in the bottom of the boat and poof, it certainly inflated.
We had a recharge kit with us and replaced it that evening.
SF

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
I’ve a couple of cabelas, they are both uncomfortable for me. The mustang fits well, it’ll be my next of this type. I generally wear a vest on my raft. The mustang and my vest both are almost unnoticeable when I wear them.

I had a cabelas and tested the autoinflate thingy. Splashing with a 5 gallon bucket did not deploy it. Only immersion for several seconds did. I can’t imagine a properly designed autoinflate vest inflating in the rain.

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
I have had a mustang for years. I bought an auto-inflate based on advice on the old forum. I have used it for steelheading, with my pontoon on lakes, and in my jet boat. I have never had it go off by accident. I switch to one of the NRS ones for fly fishing when using my pontoon on rivers. The nice thing about the mustang is that it is much cooler during summers. My full NRS vest can feel like an oven at times.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I’ve had a mustang hydrostatic auto inflating PFD for several years. It is comfortable and it’s not popped in the heaviest all-day downpours.

However, After watching a friend fall out of a pontoon boat in early March while wearing a similar type of PFD that performed as needed, I came home and ordered a foam kayaker-type PFD for cold weather and days when I am fishing solo. Even though the auto inflation mechanism performed, I was spooked. Wearing a foam PFD eliminates variables. I continue to use the mustang when it’s warm out and I’m fishing with other people.