Suction Dredge Mining our creeks…still?

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I just received this in my inbox. I thought Washington just passed a law to join the other western states to disallow this?

It seems like the motivated suction dredge miners found some loopholes if you want to call them that, one of which being that WDFW is happy to issue an HPA permit to install a pump to withdraw water from a closed basin to a miner with no water right, since it’s a different state agency in charge of water rights, that being Ecology. And WDFW has the LEOs, but they don’t look at water rights, and the watermasters at ECY who do inspect water rights are focused on big water withdrawals like Ag diversions, not the miners out in remote areas. It’s not a new story—the state agencies will not coordinate, enforcement is lacking, and the resource suffers as a result.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sounds like a typical gubermint fustercluck. What part of WFDW isn't Ecology on a larger level?

So I could get thrown in jail for dynamite fishing a stream, but get a permit to trash the stream bed and clog spawning gravels with silt.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Sounds like a typical gubermint fustercluck. What part of WFDW isn't Ecology on a larger level?

So I could get thrown in jail for dynamite fishing a stream, but get a permit to trash the stream bed and clog spawning gravels with silt.
Well to be fair, not exactly, it’s a little complicated, but the fustercluck part is correct in my estimation. It seems pretty obvious that you should first have to show having a water right in the Wenatchee basin in order to get a permit to install a pump to pump water out of a headwater stream that is closed to new withdrawals.