Sub $100 3 wt reel?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Anyone have preferences on sub $100 reels? This is for a 3 wt so don't need to stop a truck. Unfortunately I kinda hate clickers but I've resided to the fact that's what I'll be looking at if I want it to be under $100?

Are the modern Pfluegers any decent?
Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 11.05.40 AM.png

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I love clickers, but if you don't and want a modern reel I've been very impressed with the Lamson Remix & Liquid. I have 1 of each in 7/8 and have 2 extra spools.
The Remix has the machined frame while the Liquid is cast. The spools for both are cast and inter-changeable.

I can't imagine a better deal out there than this-

And- Free Shipping on Orders $89+ With Code: SHIP89. See Details.

Have fun looking!

Flymph

Steelhead
Anyone have preferences on sub $100 reels? This is for a 3 wt so don't need to stop a truck. Unfortunately I kinda hate clickers but I've resided to the fact that's what I'll be looking at if I want it to be under $100?

Are the modern Pfluegers any decent?
View attachment 67342
I have seen used Orvis Battenkill reels for well under $100. I have a a 2/3 and a 3/4 that are still like new and bombproof. They both sit on J, Kennedy Fisher 8 ft rods just made for each other.

Flymph

Steelhead
reels%20and%20boxes%20049.jpg
Cast Aluminum Reels

Is it possible to get a beautiful reel and line for $50 and get FREE SHIPPING?? Yep. These reels are $37.50 and lines are on sale for $12.50 (see below). $50 gets you FREE SHIPPING. These reels are cast aluminum. They are light weight with a tough drag system and have performed great over the last two years for me. I always try out the products I sell and I can't believe this value. Easy left to right switch with no tools needed. It actually takes about 2 minutes. They are offered in weights from 2 thru 7/8. THIS IS THE FIRST TRUE 2 WEIGHT REEL I'VE FOUND WITH A DRAG SYSTEM. I love the little outfits and use them whenever and where ever I can. Colors limited to stock on hand.
60mm = 2wt. 70mm = 3wt. 75mm = 4/5wt. 85mm = 5/6wt and 95mm = 7/8wt.

Cast Aluminum Reels
2wt. 60 mm gold $37.50 USD 3wt. 70mm Black $37.50 USD 3wt. 70mm Gold $37.50 USD 4/5wt. 75mm Black $37.50 USD 4/5wt. 75mm Silver $37.50 USD 5/6wt. 85mm Black $37.50 USD 5/6wt. 85mm Silver $37.50 USD 7/8wt. 95mm Black $37.50 USD 7/8wt. 95mm Silver $37.50 USD
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
I have a friend who bought one of these. He does not do a lot of pounding the lakes like I do so can't speak to durability. Nice looking reel from a guy I buy all my leaders, tippets, and hooks from: thefishguy.com
Lightweight and dependable!!
reels%20and%20boxes%20050.jpg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I'm a big fan of old Daiwa 706 reels. Ebay has some. Quality reels for bargain price.

Aren’t those basically a knockoff of the SA system 1 with a slightly different back?
SF

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
The current Orvis Battenkill Clickers are $129 I think. Either a Battenkill I or II would be the one for a 3wt. I use a II on my 3 and 4 wt rods.

Or if you really want low cost, the Echo Base reel is available in a 2/3 size. It's non-metallic but does have a drag in lieu of a click pawl.

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Old medalists are clickers but are very quiet.Perhaps a used 1492? I see one on the big site for 60 bucks. (I also see one for 225!?!?!?)

Divad

Whitefish
Aren’t those basically a knockoff of the SA system 1 with a slightly different back?
SF
The SA includes a counter balance, and a little heavier material in the spool, interchangeable though and body is identical.

Someone not long ago made a post about the Greys reels and liked them with others chiming in. Might be an option.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I bought a Lamson Radius 1.5 used from Nick Clayton years ago and I've loved it and used it A LOT on my 3 weight. $50 well spent.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I have 2 Batenkills (a I and II), love them. Love the look, love the feel, love the weight, love the function, love how they last - did I mention I love them?

Cheers
Same here! I have an assortment of B-Kills from the different generations. I have a few of the legacy gray cast ones with the drag, a BBS-III with extra spools for a traveling rod combo, and then the latest generation, a B-kill Click II for my 4 weights and a Disc III for my 6 weights. They've all been good to me.

Recently I picked up some of the older gray cast versions (a 3/4 and a 5/6) to put on some older IMX and XP rods. Something about matching the age / vintage of the reel to the rod I find oddly satisfying.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Some reels that aren't clickers you might check out:
Orvis clear water is around $100
Reddington Run is also around $100

Assuming you're needing a glorified line holder, I'd imagine both of these would serve their purpose.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I love clickers, but if you don't and want a modern reel I've been very impressed with the Lamson Remix & Liquid. I have 1 of each in 7/8 and have 2 extra spools.
The Remix has the machined frame while the Liquid is cast. The spools for both are cast and inter-changeable.

I can't imagine a better deal out there than this-

And- Free Shipping on Orders $89+ With Code: SHIP89. See Details.

Have fun looking!

I have a lamson remix and love it. It's my favorite.
I have an echo ion also, it's ok. I'd take the remix over it any day though.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
The SA includes a counter balance, and a little heavier material in the spool, interchangeable though and body is identical.

Someone not long ago made a post about the Greys reels and liked them with others chiming in. Might be an option.

If I recall correctly, SA went with a different company to make the System 2 reels due to those knockoffs being produced on the System 1’s.
SF