Streamlining my boat options - NRS Slipstream 96??

LBL

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Don’t have the 96 but I have a Hyside MiniMax (10’5) with a DRE a frame and also a Clearwater. I too live on the OP.
The MM is a great little boat for the OP. No problem running anything on the Sol Duc including Bear Ck, mostly. The exception being when you get 2 folks in the raft. Even the MM (it’s a true whitewater boat) gets sluggish with 2. With 1 it’s a dream. I’ve rowed the Clearwater down a bunch of the SD. Very nimble little boat but in whitewater I do worry a little about catching an oar and ripping off the oar lock. I think with a frame you could row almost anything on the SD in the Clearwater confidently with proper skills.
Back to your question. I’ve looked at the 96 and think that it’s a hell of a value esp now that it’s on sale.
IMHO
Pros
Self bailing
Rigid inflatable floor. (I really like this concept except I’d still put ply on it. I only fish the OP with cleats. Might cause a problem on the inflatable floor.)
Great size for one on the OP size rivers.
Easy to trailer and load singlehanded.

Cons
Transport. Personally I think it would get very very old putting that thing in and out of the bed of a pickup.
Doesn’t accept thwarts. (not a big deal but I do take the MM on fun runs without the frame)
They advertise with 2 seats but man even a 10 5 boat is tight with 2.
Not much space between the capability of the 96 and what you could do by putting a frame on the Clearwater.
Oar balance. Because of the narrow side to side dimension the oars become very blade heavy. I have good balanced sawyers 8.5s and they are still way heavier than much longer balanced oars on my old 14.5 Aire. (This con is just a fact of life on the smaller boats)

Again IMHO the 96 would be a fantastic 1 person OP boat. Between my MM a and my Clearwater I feel like I’m pretty darn set for the OP. It would be fun to have a drift boat but the raft is soooo forgiving and does everything I want for me and a friend.
If budget were tight I’d buy the 96 in a heartbeat. Otherwise the framed Mini Max is just a better more capable boat.
PM me if you want to try the Mini out sometime

MT406

Steelhead
Good info. Bite the bullet and ordered the 96 this morning. Found a deal that included the frame and was still half the price of the Hyside.

I have an Adipose, but find myself doing more solo skinny water trips with just myself and my dog. Can’t wait to get this out and explore. NRS said they’re discontinuing this model and will be coming out with 10.5ft raft in January.

Last edited:

LBL

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Good info. Bite the bullet and ordered the 96 this morning. Found a deal that included the frame and was still half the price of the Hyside.

I have an Adipose, but find myself doing more solo skinny water trips with just myself and my dog. Can’t wait to get this out and explore. NRS said they’re discontinuing this model and will be coming out with 10.5ft raft in January.
With my current quiver I can’t justify getting one but man that looks like a fun boat! I agree the price is pretty amazing.

jeradjames

Steelhead

Did you order the deluxe or standard? What website? I’ve been eyeing this for the last few months and think waited too long to order the deluxe in green.

MT406

Steelhead
Did you order the deluxe or standard? What website? I’ve been eyeing this for the last few months and think waited too long to order the deluxe in green.

Deluxe is sold out. Might still be able to get standard on NRS website. I’ve heard complaints with the Deluxe package and the oars they come with. I ordered the standard and will order 7.5 2 piece Sawyer oars.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Deluxe is sold out. Might still be able to get standard on NRS website. I’ve heard complaints with the Deluxe package and the oars they come with. I ordered the standard and will order 7.5 2 piece Sawyer oars.
It's still there...at least was a couple of hours ago. Looks like a sweet raft!..price is right right now.

MT406

Steelhead
Deluxe is sold out. What you see on the website is the standard package. Only difference is the Deluxe comes with oars, cup holders, rod holder, and an anchor line. Still a solid deal. I ordered the rod holder as that’s the only accessory I find worth while.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Deluxe is sold out. What you see on the website is the standard package. Only difference is the Deluxe comes with oars, cup holders, rod holder, and an anchor line. Still a solid deal. I ordered the rod holder as that’s the only accessory I find worth while.
I was referring to the standard. Didn't say it clearly...

MT406

Steelhead
I’m debating that boat right now but I’m afraid it might be too tight for 2 anglers?
It your doing longer floats I would opt for the next size. 96 would be extremely tight with two people and some gear. I’ll see if I can track down some pictures, but space is obviously very limited. Just saw an article about their new 129 SlipStream that’s coming out. That would be a good alternative.

Last edited:

MT406

Steelhead

Cramped​

This boat is best suited for two anglers (and perhaps a dog) on a day trip. With three anglers, it could feel somewhat claustrophobic, though still doable (So, what you lack in terms of comfort, you make up for in versatility). But if you’re fishing mostly with groups of three anglers, the 129 isn’t the best fit. And in terms of storage space, you wouldn’t want to take it on anything longer than one overnight trip. But it is an excellent raft for two people.

Last edited:

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
The river I want it for has no actual boat ramps and requires frequent portages, I do it in watermaster but would love to row for an angler off the bow. My only concern is the 96 is not much bigger…. Wish I could see one in person. I’m 6’2”.

I fished out of a 10.5 RMR last spring and that was close to perfect I thought. But definitely clumsier to fit in the bed of a pickup.

Never the perfect boat!

MT406

Steelhead
Check out the Hyside Mini-max, Sotar Micostrike or the new Fly Craft which apparently now has a self bailing floor. All options will be more narrow than the Slip Stream, but more $. AIRE Puma another great option, but closer to 11.5ft.

My dream boat would be a Micro Strike with the added Urethane strips on the bottom as most of my put ins are primitive. Will see how the 96 holds up.

Two primitive portages in my area.

IMG_7561.jpegIMG_7560.jpeg

Last edited:

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Hey Creatch'r, I have what Catchercraft (RIP) used to call the SeaRun Bull. Basically a Maxxon 10.5' raft with a nice frame with anchor, rod holders, standup bar etc. The selling feature for me was very stable but I could fit it inflated into the bed of my pickup. Wanted it for similar rough launches and easy portaging. Great for 1 person, definitely doable for 2 (although I don't think I'd want 2 full sized humans in Class III + whitewater). The next iteration of the Slipstream sounds like it will be similar size.

jeradjames

Steelhead
I'm picking up the standard version in green from Gig Harbor Fly Shop in a few days, they had the same 36% discount as the NRS website. I'm going to do the same thing as you regarding the oars. This will be my first raft so I will have to take some rowing lessons to get the hang of things.

Last edited:

cole_p

Yelling at trout
Forum Supporter

Cramped​

This boat is best suited for two anglers (and perhaps a dog) on a day trip. With three anglers, it could feel somewhat claustrophobic, though still doable (So, what you lack in terms of comfort, you make up for in versatility). But if you’re fishing mostly with groups of three anglers, the 129 isn’t the best fit. And in terms of storage space, you wouldn’t want to take it on anything longer than one overnight trip. But it is an excellent raft for two people.
Looks like they’ll release a 2 man 10’6”, 3 man 12’9” and 3 man 14’2” in 2024.

MT406

Steelhead
Those prices for the new Slipstream are outrageous. 96 is 1/3 of the price of the new 106. The only notable upgrade besides size was an upgraded floor which apparently drafts better.. That doesn’t warrant that price.

If you know someone, NRS is giving out codes for friends and Family. Well worth if if you want to pick up a raft from NRS.

Correction: forgot to add the rower package on the 106, it’s actually $7,350..

Last edited: