Streamers Big and Small

Anyfish

Just one more cast...
Inspired by flies I got from Clarkman, I have been watching a lot of Pike fly tying videos on YouTube and have even bought some materials to tie a few different streamers. Seeing some of the various big streamers, it got me wondering if you could just scale them down for bass or trout and up scale trout streamers for Washington's large toothy critters. I generally fish a lot of buggers and clousers but it sure is fun to expand out and experiment.

Anyhow, I'll be trying to catch a Muskie this year. I may or may not find success, but the journey should be fun.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Inspired by flies I got from Clarkman, I have been watching a lot of Pike fly tying videos on YouTube and have even bought some materials to tie a few different streamers. Seeing some of the various big streamers, it got me wondering if you could just scale them down for bass or trout and up scale trout streamers for Washington's large toothy critters. I generally fish a lot of buggers and clousers but it sure is fun to expand out and experiment.

Anyhow, I'll be trying to catch a Muskie this year. I may or may not find success, but the journey should be fun.

Did you want this moved to the Fly Tying forum?

Glad you like the flies!

To answer your query, you bet you can downsize them. I do it all of the time. In fact, my best smallie baitfish pattern is based off my primary tiger musky stuff and then tweak from there (basically to simplify while still getting the action I'm looking for).

Anyfish

Just one more cast...
Hahah. I'm definitely to blame. So clarkman, now that we are in the fly tying forum, any interest in sharing a few patterns either here or as a PM? :)

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'll throw together some pics of the larger/smaller versions of essentially the same flies. I'll try to get those later...the side by sides will give you a better idea.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
a few quick side by sides. Most of the tiger flies are in the 8-10" range, smallie flies max out at about 6". They could all be downsized further if trout are your bag. The bottom smallie fly has never been wet, that's why it's so full. Once it gets wet, it'll smooth down.

3iEqpUc.jpg

XRALt1k.jpg

Z1Hh7pB.jpg