Steffen Brothers Graphite Fly Rods

RCF

Life of the Party
Steffen has been making great fiberglass rods for decades. It now appears that they are also making graphite rods:

I luv IM6 moderate action rods. That is what they are making as of 2022.

Anyone have any experience with or heard anything about their graphite rods?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
No, but I predict I will have the 8wt in my quiver at some point in the near future.

I'm glad Shane decided to resurrect these.

Reactions: RCF

RCF

Life of the Party
I am looking at the 6 and 7 weights. Be nice to have a modern IM6 rod with a decent warranty too. Get a new rod for what a 40 year-old fly rod costs....

Last edited:

Russell

Steelhead
Steffen brothers has been making graphite rods since the 80’s as far as I know. If you build rods I have one of marks 6/7 9’6” rods in a 3 pc that needs guides wrapped that I would part with for a good deal

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Steffen brothers has been making graphite rods since the 80’s as far as I know. If you build rods I have one of marks 6/7 9’6” rods in a 3 pc that needs guides wrapped that I would part with for a good deal
Mark stopped making the graphite rods a number of years ago. Thankfully, Shane, who has carried on the Steffen Bros. legacy has decided to keep that going (a great thing since he got all of Mark's mandrels anyway).

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Shane’s rods are great I’m sure. I’ve also read great things about Epic graphites as well. I have a couple glass rods from each but am very tempted to buy an Epic 6wt graphite. My understanding is that they are easy casting “all rounders” versus the prevalent rocket rods. But, I already have a bouquet of 6s.

RCF

Life of the Party
I just checked back in on the Steffen graphite rods to see if the configuration I wanted was back in stock. One was but it looks like there was a big price increase recently. Bummer, I was really interested in them. Time to keep looking I guess...

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
still reaching for a two piece 40 yr old IM6 custom wrapped Loomis blank (traded a well used Browning A5 for it) every time I'm on Crane, nothing in the rod arsenal has a sweeter flex...cork has seen better days, however

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I am looking at the 6 and 7 weights. Be nice to have a modern IM6 rod with a decent warranty too. Get a new rod for what a 40 year-old fly rod costs....
One of my favorite rods I own for fishing dries , is a Winston IM6 9’ 5 weight two piece .