Spring Bear Hunt

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I agree that it seems like, all of a sudden, and contrary to all evidence, Ragen and Smith are applying new, higher standards for data resolution that would seem to be more appropriate for a population of animals that is known or at least suspected of being threatened in some way. That does not seem to be the case here, according to what sounds to me like pretty darn good information--good enough that the biologists seem unified in their recommendation to allow the spring bear hunt.

“If we say yes, there will be dead bears,” she said. “As Commissioner Ragen said, we don’t really know what effect that is going to have.”

But, it sounds like we do.

"[Stephanie Simek, game section manager for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife] said agency biologists use age and sex data collected from bears harvested during hunting seasons and DNA analysis of hair samples collected in separate density studies to estimate and monitor the black bear population. Both techniques result in an estimated Washington population of 20,000 to 25,000 bears, stable and robust enough, Simek said, to sustain the modest harvest proposed in the spring season."
"Simek told commissioners the proposal to issue 644 spring black bear permits, including 158 in the Blue Mountains, was likely to result in the harvest of fewer than 150 bears statewide. The proposal includes a prohibition on the taking of sows with cubs."

Sounds to me like, in the most extreme estimated scenario, there'd be at least ~19,850 bears in Washington come summertime. The bios and managers are comfortable with that; it sounds reasonable. I don't see what the issue might be for these two commissioners other than emotional arguments. And that is concerning.
It is basically the commission going against the recommendations of the regional biologists. This should be alarming for anyone who cares about our resources and wildlife management.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
While I'm not in Washington and don't bear hunt, this is not a good look.

Is there an official channel we can direct people to in order to express concerns and what the people actually want?

Reactions: JS

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
While I'm not in Washington and don't bear hunt, this is not a good look.

Is there an official channel we can direct people to in order to express concerns and what the people actually want?
Someone else might know a better way, but there's a phone # and a link to submit comments in this link:

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Someone else might know a better way, but there's a phone # and a link to submit comments in this link:

Seems like something to consider doing. This type of thing has serious overlap with the fishing world as well, so even non-hunters on this forum should be paying attention.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Seems like something to consider doing. This type of thing has serious overlap with the fishing world as well, so even non-hunters on this forum should be paying attention.
I've sent them some thoughts and questions.
Can't wait to see their response. Not going to hold my breath.

WonkyWapiti

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Additionally, the spring bear hunts are not open to all of the units that the fall regular bear season entail. The spring bear hunts are typically areas that have been identified as having issues and conflicts. Many are on timber company land and it's not a slaughter fest. Many of the tags go unfilled.