Spare oar options

rooftop

Smolt
I'm upgrading from 9' to 9.5' counterbalanced oars and am looking for a spare oar that can be broken down into smaller pieces for storage. A quick search indicates that this isn't a common thing. I've found 2-part oars, but the sections are longer than my bench. I found one from Sawyer that is 3 parts, but is only 7.5' long. Has anyone found better options? Would rowing with a 7.5' & 9.5' in a pinch work? Hoping someone has some learned experience in the area.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I'm upgrading from 9' to 9.5' counterbalanced oars and am looking for a spare oar that can be broken down into smaller pieces for storage. A quick search indicates that this isn't a common thing. I've found 2-part oars, but the sections are longer than my bench. I found one from Sawyer that is 3 parts, but is only 7.5' long. Has anyone found better options? Would rowing with a 7.5' & 9.5' in a pinch work? Hoping someone has some learned experience in the area.
It seems like most people strap the spare oar to the top of the frame or somewhere down near the floor, lengthwise in the raft. Or is this for a drift boat? Not sure about that one... Good luck in your search!

Chucker

Steelhead
I always carried a full size spare oar around in my driftboat, on the theory that if you are in a place where you break an oar, the last thing you want to do right then is put a two part oar together!

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I'd suggest finding a way to carry the spare oar full size ready to go if that's possible.
I've broken a few oars, each time I was not in a position where there was time for pulling out a two or three piece oar from wherever it was stored and putting it together. In one case, having the spare oar readily accessible probably saved me from disaster (was heading right at a huge log jam when the oar broke, had about 15 seconds to get the spare un-strapped and into place).

That said, if you're talking about stillwater, that's a different story. Probably fine having a spare tucked away in several pieces.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
For my raft, I strap on a third one-piece oar. I just upgraded to Smoker Bandits but only bought two due to the price so my spare will be a generic Cataract.

For the driftboat, I have a two-piece that fits in one of the side storage bins. Good point above about the risk associated with the time to put it together. My solution is to only row my raft in places where I have a meaningful chance of breaking an oar. Maybe that's a side benefit of being both chicken and self-aware of my shitty rowing skillz.

steelheardr99

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
For my raft i used the NRS Spare Oar Keeper, Keeps a full-size oar out of the way and easily accessible. For a drift boat you need to carry a full-size oar ready to use, Trust me when you need one you do not have time to open a bench seat box and retrieve one assemble it and drop it in your oar lock it will be to late.
I used to keep a full-size oar with the blade under the front bench box and the handle up over the rower's box, easy and fast to get to if you need it.

rooftop

Smolt
I've used a full-sized cataract oar as my spare for years, but in the new boat, there's no good spot to store it most of the time. Plus, it loved to grab my fly line while casting. I think I may get a break down Polecat oar and just assemble it on new water or rivers where there's more action. Some of my most frequent water is pretty predictable.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Found the responses to this interesting. Always had a 2 piece spare oar broken down under the rowers seat (or a one piece cam strapped to frame on my raft). I’ve never broken an oar or had issues. Probably
Just lucky but never had super quick access to the spare

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
It gets in the way a bit, but I keep a full size oar in the drifter. for all the reasons mentioned.

iggie

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I lay the spare with the blade resting on the transom and the handle on the side tray. It takes a few seconds to grab and slide into the oarlock. The 2 times I needed it there was no time for anything else.