Southern Utah Bound! advise needed

LBL

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Heading down to southern Utah in April for our annual canyon fix. Last year spent a few days on the San Juan (now that’s a scene) before driving back.
Primarily I’d love to learn more about the possibilities near Canyonlands NP, Torrey and Boulder.
But also suggestions for my drive back. I have a trailer and time. N Utah? Wyoming?
What would you hit?
Also have my OSG Clearwater for stillwater and rivers.
Thanks all!

LBL

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Perfect!
I’ll be heading back near May. Looks like that could be just a little after ice off.
Keep the suggestions coming!!

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Perfect!
I’ll be heading back near May. Looks like that could be just a little after ice off.
Keep the suggestions coming!!
That is when the big uns are in close.
check this out, his reports are honest: https://quietflyfisher.com/
I drove through Utah last year on my way to Iowa and spent several days exploring the parks. He was informative and actually discouraged me from booking a trip on the streams as the water was so low.
South Central Utah is amazing!

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I'll be honest, if I was headed that way I'd be more focused on canyon hiking than fishing. That said, the Green and Dinosaur NM might be on your way.

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
My daughter and I stumbled across Panguitch Lake in July and I will absolutely be returning there as soon as I possibly can. I can't speak to the April fishing, but I'd say it's worth investigating.

LBL

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'll be honest, if I was headed that way I'd be more focused on canyon hiking than fishing. That said, the Green and Dinosaur NM might be on your way.
Right! My wife and I will be hiking for 3 weeks prior then she’ll fly back and I can play with the fishes.
What’s going on at Dinosaur?
Green is on my list. Sounds kinda busy?? Is it San Juan like?

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Right! My wife and I will be hiking for 3 weeks prior then she’ll fly back and I can play with the fishes.
What’s going on at Dinosaur?
Green is on my list. Sounds kinda busy?? Is it San Juan like?
I’ve never fished it, but the green is a tailwayer below flaming gorge. Dinosaur has one of the most impressive dinosaur quarries I’ve ever seen, and some amazing fossils in place that you can walk right up to. If you’re in the canyon lands area, I’d also recommend hovenweep. It’s amazing

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
taking notes....just for future reference...

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’ve never fished it, but the green is a tailwayer below flaming gorge. Dinosaur has one of the most impressive dinosaur quarries I’ve ever seen, and some amazing fossils in place that you can walk right up to. If you’re in the canyon lands area, I’d also recommend hovenweep. It’s amazing

Awesome environment. Headed back 1st of June again this year.

From last June Flaming Gorge Res upper end with Wyoming in the background:
C5251321-A52A-49AB-92FF-D03F344B2BD9.jpeg
The Green at put in:
D79D7D60-1049-4AC4-97DD-C05715DC85B6.jpeg

Dinosaur National Monument:

C1A73469-E3AE-4D76-B68C-6DED3B70F6BB.jpeg17790CFA-9E5C-4229-B3FC-4C2460EAA51E.jpegC7CA4560-B69B-484D-A84F-89196400597C.jpeg

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Also:
Bryce Canyon
Zion
Panguitch
Grand Escalante
And while your in the area the Black Canyon of the Gunnison

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Near Bicknell is a stretch with public access on the Fremont R. Can be good. Close by is Em creek. There used to actually be a fly shop in Bicknell, not sure if it's still there. Of course Fish lake is beloved by Utah gear fisherman. Boulder Mt. lakes have big brookies but you'd do best hiring a quide as it's pretty much locals only secret spots kind of place..
All the creeks draining the plateaus hold small trout...

Last edited:
Reactions: LBL

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Strawberry River
Love that water, especially above the reservoir. Below the Soldier dam is too pressured/crowded for my taste--or at least it was the last few times I fished it (early 00s).

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
Near Bicknell is a stretch with public access on the Fremont R. Can be good. Close by is Em creek. There used to actually be a fly shop in Bicknell, not sure if it's still there. Of course Fish lake is beloved by Utah gear fisherman. Boulder Mt. lakes have big brookies but you'd do best hiring a quide as it's pretty much locals only secret spots kind of place..
All the creeks draining the plateaus hold small trout...
I worked at Capital Reef for about 5 years in the late 70’s. One of the Rangers used to hike into the Fremont River on the section between Torrey and the park and Catch 20”+ Browns with a Mepps spinner. I remember going to Bicknell Bottoms and seeing huge tails in the culvert that ran under the road. No pontoon boats in those days and I never figured out how to get a dead drift in the culvert. One of the maintenance guys used to talk about going up to Lower Bowens Reservoir up on Boulder Mountain to clear his irrigation ditch. Said he would flip fish out with his pitchfork. 3 fish would fill a gunny sack he said.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Crazy. It used to be the wild forgotten back then. That's about the time I started doing long weekend trips down there. South Central Utah from the Wasatch Plateau to Kanab is my favorite place on Earth....

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
Crazy. It used to be the wild forgotten back then. That's about the time I started doing long weekend trips down there. South Central Utah from the Wasatch Plateau to Kanab is my favorite place on Earth....
Exactly. The least populated area in the US back then. I spent most of my time off at Lake Powell when it was filling. I had a 14’ Lowe boat with a 9.9 Mercury and spent a lot of time up the Dirty Devil drainage catching largemouth bass. Also spent some time in Colorado in the San Juan Mountains and the Flattops Wilderness.