Some improvements to Ive's Cruisin' Casa

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It's nearing time to think about camping again and I have been on the lookout for things that need to be done to enhance the Casa. The cooking experience could always be better and to that end I bought a new electric cook pot that comes with a steamer accessory. It has 2 levels, 250w and 600w and boils my coffee water in well under 3 minutes on high. 600 watts dovetails nicely with my now old 1000w Jackery. I knew when I bought the Jackery that it would be out of date in a year compared to newer models but it still works flawlessly and is more than adequate for my modest needs. What it did need was a better solar panel as my old Renogy panel just wasn't getting it done. Panel selection is much better now than several years ago and I found one more powerful and better built for about what I paid for the old one. It will be a vast improvement.

I had been using an old drip type of coffee maker that ran on 110v but was not user friendly to use and didn't make very good coffee. It has been replaced with an Aeropress which is simpler to use and somehow makes far better coffee than the old one. I like that it is fast and easy to clean.

In the interest of getting flame out of the inside I had considered getting a much larger power source than the Jackery so I could have more cooking power at my disposal.That idea had 2 problems-higher cost and much higher weight. I can live with the cost but the size and weight of a more powerful unit is a deal breaker, I'll have to live with what I can actually move by myself. With a 1000w upper limit, I will have to just run what I brung and make the best of it. Tonight that challenge just got easier, I discovered that Nuwave makes an induction plate that has 3 power levels-600w, 900w and 1300w. Just perfect for use on my current system and far safer to use inside the truck. With a lot of 3,000w inverters around now with massive solar arrays and multiple 100ah batteries on board a lot of people are dropping propane and induction cook tops are the tool of choice. I have been using induction for about 10 years now and am still using the same Duxtop unit I started with and no problems at all.

The next thing I might look into is some kind of a rocket box for the top of the canopy in which I could carry my Outcast Fish Cat Scout or Predator and not have to tow a trailer. It would hurt my gas mileage but then the trailer does too so maybe it is a wash. No matter what, the Casa will be even better this season. The 12v electric blanket is just such a luxury on those cool evenings when it isn't cold enough for a fire but not warm enough to be really comfortable. Lux in a truck! I love it.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
It's nearing time to think about camping again and I have been on the lookout for things that need to be done to enhance the Casa. The cooking experience could always be better and to that end I bought a new electric cook pot that comes with a steamer accessory. It has 2 levels, 250w and 600w and boils my coffee water in well under 3 minutes on high. 600 watts dovetails nicely with my now old 1000w Jackery. I knew when I bought the Jackery that it would be out of date in a year compared to newer models but it still works flawlessly and is more than adequate for my modest needs. What it did need was a better solar panel as my old Renogy panel just wasn't getting it done. Panel selection is much better now than several years ago and I found one more powerful and better built for about what I paid for the old one. It will be a vast improvement.

I had been using an old drip type of coffee maker that ran on 110v but was not user friendly to use and didn't make very good coffee. It has been replaced with an Aeropress which is simpler to use and somehow makes far better coffee than the old one. I like that it is fast and easy to clean.

In the interest of getting flame out of the inside I had considered getting a much larger power source than the Jackery so I could have more cooking power at my disposal.That idea had 2 problems-higher cost and much higher weight. I can live with the cost but the size and weight of a more powerful unit is a deal breaker, I'll have to live with what I can actually move by myself. With a 1000w upper limit, I will have to just run what I brung and make the best of it. Tonight that challenge just got easier, I discovered that Nuwave makes an induction plate that has 3 power levels-600w, 900w and 1300w. Just perfect for use on my current system and far safer to use inside the truck. With a lot of 3,000w inverters around now with massive solar arrays and multiple 100ah batteries on board a lot of people are dropping propane and induction cook tops are the tool of choice. I have been using induction for about 10 years now and am still using the same Duxtop unit I started with and no problems at all.

The next thing I might look into is some kind of a rocket box for the top of the canopy in which I could carry my Outcast Fish Cat Scout or Predator and not have to tow a trailer. It would hurt my gas mileage but then the trailer does too so maybe it is a wash. No matter what, the Casa will be even better this season. The 12v electric blanket is just such a luxury on those cool evenings when it isn't cold enough for a fire but not warm enough to be really comfortable. Lux in a truck! I love it.

For car camping, I used to use a percolator pot on the camp stove for coffee. It took forever and used a lot of propane. I switched to using the Starbucks Via single-serving freeze dried packets. Just heat the water, cut the top off the packet, dump it in the cup, pour in the water, and use the packet's wrapper to stir it. Easy peasy and tastes very good (even for Starbucks).

Might be worth a try.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
The Aeropress makes great coffee, I guess you have to pregrind the beans before you go is all. I have used the Via from SB, reasonably decent coffee but not nearly as good as what the Aeropress can do.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
A mangy ol' coyote does just fine with instant coffee and purloined packets of powdered creamer. Eight year old Folger crystals only improve with age. I hold my pinky finger out while sampling the concoction's delicate taste and aroma.

And @iveofione , make sure that rocket box on the top of your canopy doesn't exceed McDonald's drive through height limits!

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
The Aeropress makes great coffee, I guess you have to pregrind the beans before you go is all. I have used the Via from SB, reasonably decent coffee but not nearly as good as what the Aeropress can do.
I drink an Aeropress coffee pretty much every day. I’m a huge fan. When I travel, I grind beans at home ahead of time, but there are all sorts of portable coffee bean grinders to be had out there, electric and manual, from $20 to $200.

MELinOre

Steelhead
AeroPress made coffee has been my morning drink since 2020.