SOLD - Sage DS2 - 590 (2 Piece) - Local Pick Only (Located in Seattle)

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Sage DS2 590 (2 piece) - $( SOLD) - Local Pick Up Only

I have a beautiful Sage DS2 and original tube that I'm letting go simply because I have a 4 piece as well. The rod is in great condition with just some minor surface/finish scuffs/rubs here and there. Very minimal though and no deep scratches of anything like that. The cork is in great shape for it's age and shows minimal use. I'm pretty sure when I got this rod, it had not been fished and I've only used it 2 or 3 times? The butt has some very minor scuffs on the rubber/plastic. Mainly from being set down on the concrete floor in my workshop. Again, very minor. I'd give this rod a 9 out of 10 for condition?

If you have any questions, please let me know. Local pick up only in the greater Seattle area. But, you really want to pay to have it shipped, that's up to you and I could ship UPS at your expense if desired. I would think it would be pretty expensive though give it's a long 2 piece tube and I would have to insist on insurance.

Thanks, Jim

30jTvn6l.jpg

1vQK2BXl.jpg

vucjWRol.jpg

2fjdefkl.jpg

QgMzRyQl.jpg

BM9LXuFl.jpg

GP1BaXzl.jpg

GP1BaXzl.jpg

RP7SGHol.jpg

0ljwcTgl.jpg

q4WVHyyl.jpg

jCWjTENl.jpg

Last edited:

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Porter may know definitively but as I recall, the DS2’s were built on the RPL blanks. The blank that put Sage on the map, and still a favorite today.
I bought this very rod for my 10 year old daughter (now 30) and while it was only used once maybe, I have lawn cast it a couple times in that period. It is in fact an excellent casting rod.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Porter may know definitively but as I recall, the DS2’s were built on the RPL blanks. The blank that put Sage on the map, and still a favorite today.
I bought this very rod for my 10 year old daughter (now 30) and while it was only used once maybe, I have lawn cast it a couple times in that period. It is in fact an excellent casting rod.
That’a really cool that you’ve kept it after all those years. I bought this rod after trying one a guide had when I was first getting into fly fishing. I immediately love it and I have to say, as my casting has improved, I still just click with the rod. It just casts like a dream. I just don’t need two of them. But, I won’t be disappointed if it doesn’t sell. 😎

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I've heard that too. I have a DS 476-2 I picked up for the kids way back when. Fun rod to fish.

Good luck on the sale Aleforme.

DS2's were their own blanks (graphite and tapers).

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Great rod you have for sale IMHO.

RPL Graphite III. Sage Ds2 Graphite II.
Sage RP graphite II. I think the DS and DS2 were as Richard E states their own taper but i believe it was the RP technology incorporated in the DS2’s. DS2’s had somewhat better hardware and a sanded blank compared to the DS and maybe a little more juju?

Regarding the DS….below is from a 91 catalog which makes me wonder if some later made DS’s had the RP tech in them? But I promise you none had the RPL tech in them.

IMG_3133.png

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My memory is that the VPS rods used the RPL blanks, with cheaper hardware. I have a VPS and a couple of DS2s. DS are definitely slower, with classic action and very nice finish. My 8wt works best in close and I think a 4wt would be a great dry fly rod.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Everyone, thanks for all the background on the DS2, it’s truly much appreciated! Love learning the history behind these older rods.