So why did we switch exactly…?

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I haven’t been visiting the other site as much as I have in previous years. Just curious what happened? I was asked to drop in and I see a lot of good folks on here, so I’m good with it!

So… Hey everybody👋

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
The other place was purchased by a large company. Lots of privacy concerns and beyond with it (they now own the databases with all user info). Here's a writeup from the experience of some other forums that went through something similar:

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
Oh boy…. Thanks Evan for clearing that up.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
We had no warning. Out of the blue the site is sold to a corporation that buys up websites. The new administrator doesn't even fish ! So you have to wonder, why would a corporation go around buying up popular websites ? Obviously for the money they will gain from owning those websites and that's where the selling of membership information comes in.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I've changed my account name and email address over there, and suggest others do the same. I made a thread here about how you can protect your email address.

Bob Rankin

Forum Supporter
I've changed my account name and email address over there, and suggest others do the same. I made a thread here about how you can protect your email address.
Thank you for the heads up

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
Doesn't this change ALL your email addresses? I really don't want to change my email address if the process wipes out the address I have on a ton of different sites. It's too bad we can eliminate our membership so all the data is gone.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Doesn't this change ALL your email addresses? I really don't want to change my email address if the process wipes out the address I have on a ton of different sites. It's too bad we can eliminate our membership so all the data is gone.
not at all. the instructions i wrote were just to hide your email from that specific forum.

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
Soooo…my first post here!

The first question that comes into my mind is, is there any Chinese connection to Vertical Scope?

On the surface of things, you would think that Vertical Scope’s objective In buying all of these internet forums would be to selling advertising, like Facebook does.

However, the more I hear these days how the Chinese government is infiltrating our every move and our daily lives, I’ve become increasingly cynical. (Things like them buying DNA data from companies that you send your DNA to, or the Chinese government’s ties to TiKTok, for example. I just bought a new laptop, MSI which Is made In China, as they all are these days, and in setting it up I was surprised that I had to agree to giving them access to all of my data, at least that which is permitted by US law, whatever that is these days.)

Control the data and you can control the world.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Soooo…my first post here!

The first question that comes into my mind is, is there any Chinese connection to Vertical Scope?

On the surface of things, you would think that Vertical Scope’s objective In buying all of these internet forums would be to selling advertising, like Facebook does.

However, the more I hear these days how the Chinese government is infiltrating our every move and our daily lives, I’ve become increasingly cynical. (Things like them buying DNA data from companies that you send your DNA to, or the Chinese government’s ties to TiKTok, for example. I just bought a new laptop, MSI which Is made In China, as they all are these days, and in setting it up I was surprised that I had to agree to giving them access to all of my data, at least that which is permitted by US law, whatever that is these days.)

Control the data and you can control the world.
Uuuh, no idea there. I think Verticalscope is just Canadian. No tie ins to China that I know of.

For my home computer(s), I am all-Linux instead of Mac/Windows. Lots more control over whats on my system. It's another thing I encourage people to try as some of the distros are very friendly to non-savvy people. When I set up computers for non-tech-savvy relatives, I always set them up on Linux because I know they don't know enough to break anything or install questionable stuff.

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
I just looked over there and I see that once you’ve entered your birth date you can’t change it without contacting the administrator. So, I wonder if it‘s even possible to change or delete it now.

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
When I first learned that Chris sold, I wasn't stoked but what are you gonna do? I had never heard of Vertical Scope, was completely ignorant to the business side of message boards, and that forum had been part of my life for a few years. So I tried to at least have some fun with it.

Then I found out there is another game in town. And as cheesy as it sounds, I consider the OG's here e-family. Sure, at times we'll fight like brothers/sisters but we will always share a bond...fly fishing.

Mike and Megacorp are not, and will never be, one of us.

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead

I changed my e-mail with the instructions you provided. Thanks again for that.

What would be the purpose of changing my username?

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Where is the link?
Found it.

Uncle Stu

Steelhead
"When you do move to a new place, as a member, it’s important to leave breadcrumbs to where you’ve gone. Update your sig, update your avatar etc etc. People will follow those clues."

Interesting, if the new owners will allow links all over the old forum, to the new non-commercial forum. So would it make sense to add something like this to our old signature at WFF... "Recently moved over to https://pnwflyfishing.com/ after this forum was purchased by VerticalScope."

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I changed my e-mail with the instructions you provided. Thanks again for that.

What would be the purpose of changing my username?
Changed my username because it's my real name.
I also changed my avatar and password prior to following EB's wise and helpful instructions.
In addition I deleted my profile information and may delete some personal info from posts.