Snow Shred Season 23/24

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Typical first dump after a long dry spell at Snowbird. A few guys forget about the lack of base and get in over their head. Off the Peruvian side. “The crawl of shame”.
That reminds me of a spot under Ch 6 at baker where I've seen similar things happen.

Landlocked

Steelhead
That reminds me of a spot under Ch 6 at baker where I've seen similar things happen.
Yup-hero time till it’s not. After 50 years (started at Baker and Stevens), I’m still trying to figure out the decision making process of the folks who decide “picking” their way through a bony cliff in early season is a good idea. I mean if your knees, back, and cred level justify bombing it in one shot, by all means, hit it under the chair. But if not, it’s like drunk kissing your new wife’s grandmother on the lips at your wedding with everyone watching.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
TONIGHT...Rain and snow. Patchy blowing snow late in theevening. Areas of blowing snow after midnight, then blowing snowlate in the night. Snow level near 3500 feet. Precipitation maybe heavy at times. Rainfall amounts one to three inches possible.Visibility one quarter mile or less at times after midnight. Snowaccumulation of 7 to 14 inches.

TUESDAY...Rain and snow. Blowing snow. Snow level near2000 feet. Snow may be heavy at times. Visibility one quartermile or less at times. Snow accumulation of 16 to 26 inches.

TUESDAY NIGHT...Blowing snow in the evening. Areas of blowingsnow after midnight. Rain and snow. Snow level near 1500 feet.Snow may be heavy at times in the evening. Visibility one quartermile or less at times until early morning. Snow accumulation of9 to 12 inches. Total snow accumulation 32 to 52 inches.
From the UW Atmospheric sciences forecast.

That's a lot of snow.

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Today was the kind of sleeper day I absolutely love. Tomorrow is the kind of hype storm day that gives me anxiety.

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
I bet it was beautiful up there yesterday. It was text book winter steelheading conditions down below. This was before the snow got heavy
IMG_6896.jpegAbsolutely picturesque….I can only guess how pretty it was up there👍

Today, not so much….there have been some pretty good gusts at my house so I’m guessing you’re getting pummeled.

Last edited:

Chris Bellows

Steelhead
Yesterday woke up to 14” of heavy snow. Hoping to beat the rain left early to skin up the mountain. Weather got wetter and wetter as I progressed until the ice pellets and 40mph winds stopped me from making the summit. Had one beautiful run down through some creamy mashed potatoes before it all turned to rain. Lifts ended up not opening for another two hours due to wind so I chilled at home watching the rain. Nice base building storm that should set up like spackle with the freezing temps while I’m traveling to deal with family stuff.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Got up on MLK day. Sunny but cold. Groomers were fast. just a few pockets of soft stuff left untracked.

Lots of snow coming down up there the next 24 hours. But then the snow levels look to jump way up. Some freezing rain in there as well. Could be a messy stretch for local ski areas.

IMG_8644.heic.jpeg

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The temperature roller coaster continues! Wish I could take advantage of the next couple cold days but alas….

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Interior norcal has been stuck in a crummy pattern so far. Drought or high snow levels. It is skiable-we have enough, but certainly not ideal. Have had some fun days tho

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
After Covid, a double ear infection, and a sinus infection that lasted 3 weeks (unfortunately those 3 weeks were through Christmas break and new years), we were finally able to get up. I got my oldest a seasons pass and he has been a few times with buddies, but this was our first time as a family this year. No seasons passes for me and my middle son, as I coach his basketball team and it takes up a lot of weekend days. Anyways, kids were out of school this past Tuesday, and it was a good one! I rode with my middle son most of the day, while my oldest met up with buddies and took off after 1st lunch. My middle son needed 2nd lunch, haha!

20240116_101022.jpg
20240116_094643.jpg
20240116_123109.jpg
20240116_133809.jpg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
After Covid, a double ear infection, and a sinus infection that lasted 3 weeks (unfortunately those 3 weeks were through Christmas break and new years), we were finally able to get up. I got my oldest a seasons pass and he has been a few times with buddies, but this was our first time as a family this year. No seasons passes for me and my middle son, as I coach his basketball team and it takes up a lot of weekend days. Anyways, kids were out of school this past Tuesday, and it was a good one! I rode with my middle son most of the day, while my oldest met up with buddies and took off after 1st lunch. My middle son needed 2nd lunch, haha!

View attachment 100255
View attachment 100257
View attachment 100259
View attachment 100260
I love a two lunch day. Means something good happened.

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I got a Pow Surfer for my birthday last year. Yesterday's graupel/sleet/rain/snow event in interior norcal made everything else meh, but the pow surfing was amazing! I took turns with my 12 year old son and his buddy, and tracked up a hillside. So. much. fun. on a day that woulda been a miserable Nordic Ski, or an indoor day. The snow was creamy grits and a little sticky- perfect for pow surfing. I am 100% skier, but grew up skateboarding and surfing so the stance and motions make sense. If you have a chance, give one a try!

Last edited:

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I got a Pow Surfer for my birthday last year. Yesterday's graupel/sleet/rain/snow event in interior norcal made everything else meh, but the pow surfing was amazing! I took turns with my 12 year old son and his buddy, and tracked up a hillside. So. much. fun. on a day that woulda been a miserable Nordic Ski, or an indoor day. The snow was creamy grits and a little sticky- perfect for pow surfing. I am 100% skier, but grew up skateboarding and surfing so the stance and motions make sense. If you have a chance, give one a try!
What was old, is new again.IMG_20240122_205832308.jpg