Snohomish/Skykomish get screwed

JayB

Steelhead
Thats what they claim but their various business ventures suggest that their principles are versatile enough to accommodate such an arrangement if the terms are favorable enough.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Well the Skykomish is now 100% closed :rolleyes:

FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
July 31, 2023

Snohomish system closure update
Action: Closes all fishing upstream of Highway US2 Bridge for Skykomish River. Maintains previously announced Snohomish system closures.

Species affected: All species.

Effective dates and locations:

Closed to all fishing beginning Aug. 2, 2023, until further notice:
Skykomish River, from Highway US2 Bridge (above Big Eddy) to confluence of North and South forks.
Currently closed to all fishing, until further notice:
Snohomish River, from mouth upstream.
Snoqualmie River, from mouth to Snoqualmie Falls.
Skykomish River, from mouth to Highway US2 Bridge (above Big Eddy).
Skykomish River, North Fork.
Skykomish River, South Fork, from mouth upstream.
Cherry Creek.
Raging River.
Sultan River.
Tolt River, from mouth to confluence of North and South Forks.
Wallace River, from mouth to 200 feet upstream of water intake of salmon hatchery.
Reason for action: Chinook presence has been observed in the Skykomish River in the area near Reiter ponds. Due to limited allowable take of wild Chinook in the Snohomish system, strict controls are needed to conserve Chinook impacts for pink and coho fisheries later this fall.

Additional information: The Snohomish wild Chinook population saw a record low return of 1,023 in 2019 - the year when dominant age class four-year old Chinook returning in 2023 would have been hatched - there is now significant concern for a poor return of wild Chinook to the Snohomish and its tributaries this year. For additional information, go to the WDFW blog.

Information contact: Team Mill Creek, 425-775-1311.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
No more “trout” fishing?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Haven’t there been good returns after poor adult returns and poor returns off of good adult returns in the past?

I guess “significant concern” is now part of the “let’s just shut things down, its easier” management regime.
SF

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The kicker is those fish that are trucked have become ESA listed too!
I genuinely wonder if trucking Rainbows upstream is actually hurting the wild Rainbow population in the South Fork Skykomish. As far as I understand, resident fish are pretty healthy in terms of population, it’s migratory fish that are disappearing. As the Skykomish wild Steelhead, run trickles out of existence, shouldn’t we be letting those resident fish remain resident so that they become a genetic reservoir that could be used in the future to reintroduce anadromy if conditions ever improve?

Ian Broadie

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Looks like the Snohomish from the RR bridge to the ramp at Snohomish will open August 31st instead of Sept 15th. Per the e-mail alert in my inbox....
I used to fish under that bridge when I was a kid, Stocker owned the field and it was private property. If you paid him $5 he would give you a card that said you paid for access to his property and when he would send his kids down to kick everyone out I would end up with the spot all to myself. Bet it's going to be a mad house now that the boat launch is in that very same field.

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
I remember those days, I always got my card. So, the sandbar below the trestle is now a boat launch? Have alot of good memories fishing that stretch of river!

WonderBrad

Steelhead
So from the boat launch to the first rail road bridge looks like about 200 yards of river. Another railroad bridge crosses about 400 yards further down. Am I reading this right or is WDFW really trying to cram at least a thousand Hook Huckers in a 2-400 yard stretch of the snohomish river?

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So from the boat launch to the first rail road bridge looks like about 200 yards of river. Another railroad bridge crosses about 400 yards further down. Am I reading this right or is WDFW really trying to cram at least a thousand Hook Huckers in a 2-400 yard stretch of the snohomish river?
I’m not going

Paige

From the mouth to RR bridge

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Anyone fish the lower sloughs? I know some bait guys who kill the Cutthroat (Literally unfortunately) doing it, and it's all Frog water that Coho love. I might take a small boat around there sometime since the shore access seems too muddy to fish

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Stopped by at Reiter as I had work in that area. River is so low you could walk across it, makes me wonder if there is any fishing to miss right about now. Less pleasant was stopping at the Wallace and seeing tons of Summer chinook that Washington tax payers effectively had no opportunity to catch. Interesting enough, at the intake I saw a large school of smaller salmon with bright red color. I couldn’t get a look at the tail but I’m pretty sure those were coho, didn’t realize those came in so early

Paige

Stopped by at Reiter as I had work in that area. River is so low you could walk across it, makes me wonder if there is any fishing to miss right about now. Less pleasant was stopping at the Wallace and seeing tons of Summer chinook that Washington tax payers effectively had no opportunity to catch. Interesting enough, at the intake I saw a large school of smaller salmon with bright red color. I couldn’t get a look at the tail but I’m pretty sure those were coho, didn’t realize those came in so early

Fish will still move up even under very low water, there simply isn't steelhead around anymore.