Snohomish and Stillaguamish Chinook take another hit

Smalma

Life of the Party
The flooding today (12/5) are at levels in the Snohomish and Stillaguamish basin are at levels that will result reductions in the Chinook, pink and chum egg survivals. Chinook egg survival maybe taking as much as a 75% survival hits.

Damn!

curt

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I think this flood event is going to be bad news for a lot of salmon up and down the PNW.

johnnyboy

Steelhead
Is this worse than it was in November ‘21?

I don’t remember it too well, but seems like that flood didn’t have much of an impact on the 2023 pink run (but perhaps showed in poorer returns like the Nooksack?)

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Fraser river pink returns were ~30% higher than forecasted. November 21 seemed exponentially worse than this but maybe that was just my perception.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Since this is apparently the new normal we can only hope that selection for favorable adaptations is working on a rapid basis.

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The flooding today (12/5) are at levels in the Snohomish and Stillaguamish basin are at levels that will result reductions in the Chinook, pink and chum egg survivals. Chinook egg survival maybe taking as much as a 75% survival hits.

Damn!

curt
So the bulk of the snoho pink run was done by the first week of novemeber and the system was loaded by mid september. A google search says pinks hatch 8-16 weeks after spawning and chinook ~12 weeks. Majority of the september pink and chinook spawners should be fine and probably a good chunk of the october pinks as well. Does my math make sense?

Im trying to stay positive. Not ideal but hopefully not all doom and gloom.

Smalma

Life of the Party
On the Skykomish and NF Stillaguamish this event is significantly larger than the November 2021 event for those basins.

That 2021 event was confined to the Fraser, northern Puget Sound rivers (Nooksack, Skagit). Even on the Skagit the 2021 event largely affected the upper Skagit with the rest of basin (Sauk, larger Skagit tribs. etc.) experiencing flooding similar to what was seen on the Stillaguamish. Every flood is different. Typically flooding this time of year is drive by rain on snow type of events. In this case it looks to be more drive by just a lot of rain which means the lower elevation tribs being more heavily impacted. Generally speaking flooding in November, December and January are the ones that hit the fall spawning salmon the hardest.

Just a note most of time the "hatching" of our salmon is two step process. The alevin (egg sack fry) hatch from their eggs but remain in the gravel substrates for another month or so before absorbing their egg sack before emerging from the gravel. If they are force from that gravel early (either from flood scour or low dissolved oxygen they take a survival hit. Typically, here in north Puget Sound see the Chinook fry beginning to emerge from gravel in late January (the summer fish) with the fall fish even later. The pinks after emerging from the gravel spend just a few days in the river and beginning hitting the salt in February and March. As an aside the Snoqualmie wild fall Chinook are the latest spawning Chinook I know of in Puget Sound and they are just now finishing their spawning so were especially vulnerable.

As an angler I usually approach all things "fishy" with optimism otherwise we probably would not fish. But that said in looking forward usually we need to temper out hopes with some reality.

Curt

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
FC1B04FF-DC8D-4B61-A71D-B64EE78E57ED.jpeg

I drove my truck through this at a significantly lower water level this morning at 4:45am on my way to work. My wife sent me this at 7:30am and it was waist deep and rising by the minute. Pretty wild how fast it came up. Needless to say, I haven’t made it home yet. Thats Hillis rd just upstream from Grant Creek looking out to 530, the Cicero bridge is just out of frame to the right. Gnarly.

jeradjames

Steelhead
I drove 530 all the way up to Rockport yesterday, left around 3, and there were zero problems with the roads. No hydroplaning anywhere. Things changed quickly.

Smalma

Life of the Party
One potential cause for optimism is this recent flood was of short duration, the rivers rose quickly and dropped quickly. Often the amount of damage a particular flood causes is a function of both the height and the duration.

On the Skagit significant reduction in egg survival happens as flows raise above 60,000 cfs (at concrete gauge). Yesterday the peak at Concrete at 96,000 cfs and was over that 60,000 cfs threshold for 24 hours. A similar size event was the 2017 flood (106,000 cfs) where the river was above that same threshold for 48 hours.

BTW the 2021 flood on the Skagit (at Concrete) reached 57,700 cfs.

Curt

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
One potential cause for optimism is this recent flood was of short duration, the rivers rose quickly and dropped quickly. Often the amount of damage a particular flood causes is a function of both the height and the duration.

On the Skagit significant reduction in egg survival happens as flows raise above 60,000 cfs (at concrete gauge). Yesterday the peak at Concrete at 96,000 cfs and was over that 60,000 cfs threshold for 24 hours. A similar size event was the 2017 flood (106,000 cfs) where the river was above that same threshold for 48 hours.

BTW the 2021 flood on the Skagit (at Concrete) reached 57,700 cfs.

Curt
I'm seeing the 2021 flood as peaking at 119k cfs that stayed above 60k from nov 13 into nov 19, with a brief drop to 45k on the 14th (in concrete). Am I missing something? To my eye, 2021 on the skagit was a higher peak with longer sustained scouring levels.

Screenshot_20231206-092009_Samsung Internet.jpg

Smalma

Life of the Party
Pink Nighty -
Good catch! I must of been looking at the 2021 water year which begins in October of 2020 instead of the 2022 year.

sorry for the confusion.

curt

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Pink Nighty -
Good catch! I must of been looking at the 2021 water year which begins in October of 2020 instead of the 2022 year.

sorry for the confusion.

curt
This flood does appear to be a good bit worse on the sauk, with a peak over 60k this year for 36 hours now, where 2021 saw several spikes of short duration that never broke 60.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
This flood does appear to be a good bit worse on the sauk, with a peak over 60k this year for 36 hours now, where 2021 saw several spikes of short duration that never broke 60.
Gonna have to relearn the river again this spring. Hopefully I can do it without incident. :)