Smoke from Canadian wildfires affecting the East Coast

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
This is pretty stunning timelapse from today in NYVC:

People back east are freaked out b y the smoke. My frinds on the east coast did not know about the box fan/furnace filter trick for improving indoor air quality. I am spreading the word.

Flymph

Steelhead
Our HS Senior Class trip (1966) was to NYC to see Radio City Music Hall (The Rockets!), Statue of Liberty, etc. The pollution back then was pretty similar to what you show. I'm guessing people my age are saying "ah, the good old days"!

RCF

Life of the Party
I feel sorry for all those affected by the smoke, especially those with health issues. Nothing to sneeze at...

We on the West Coast have been experiencing it for years if not decades. It lasts all summer long too, depending upon where one lives.

IMHO it will last all summer long on the East Coast as the Canadian fires are so many and so big and out of control.

Maybe now the US will promote a national posture to fight the fires and the root cause. Otherwise it will become the 'new normal'.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Funny how these conditions have been predicted for many years and yet denied and even opposed.

Canada should be taxed on the tons of carbon they are releasing with these fires. Once the tax is collected we can play everyone's favourite end times game show, Is It Climate Change Or Lack Of Forest Management? And remember yelling, making loud noises at the other team, and referring to rakes is not only encouraged but results in more points for your team. The winner gets to breath relatively clean air in beautiful downtown Seattle. That's right Bob it's an environmental utopia and all expenses paid as you tour this beautiful archetypical city of squalor. You will get to view eco friendly living conditions and dine al fresco in an outdoor tent while taking in all the city has to offer. Experience the sights and smells of downtown as well as a traditional ferry grounding. Total value, one million dollars.

Cue canned applause

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
I thought we had escaped it with the move to NC, NOPE!!! The smoke has made it down here now. We are also planning a trip north to NY state in a few weeks, scouting for property - hope it clears by then, but unlikely the fires will be out until late fall and the first snows, so any north wind will blow the smoke into New England.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
I've heard from my reliable Canadian resources that Canadian officials are asking for American aid, they want Americans to donate beer to drop on the fires since they're mostly water anyway...

cheers

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I've heard from my reliable Canadian resources that Canadian officials are asking for American aid, they want Americans to donate beer to drop on the fires since they're mostly water anyway...

cheers

Like sex in a canoe...

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
We've had it a while in Ohio but the heavy stuff hit as of today. Supposed to lighten up over the weekend - mainly the weather has created the perfect storm for it. But yeah, just reminds me of WA for the past several years.

Cleveland:
4f645071-49f8-40d8-a360-3a04a88b4ef5_750x422.jpg

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I feel sorry for all those affected by the smoke, especially those with health issues. Nothing to sneeze at...

We on the West Coast have been experiencing it for years if not decades. It lasts all summer long too, depending upon where one lives.

IMHO it will last all summer long on the East Coast as the Canadian fires are so many and so big and out of control.

Maybe now the US will promote a national posture to fight the fires and the root cause. Otherwise it will become the 'new normal'.
Nah...soon as it's gone they'll forget about it. That's just 'the way' of humanity..

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Every fire season is reactive.

One quick and cheap more proactive solution is to make all hotshot firefighters and other crews non-seasonal employees.

Highly trained, hard working. Get them out thinning the forest and doing controlled burns all year long. Planning for the next big one. Speaking to communities that are at risk. Getting a plan in place and so on.

Common sense shit. This would cost less probably then one big fire.

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

One quick and cheap more proactive solution is to make all hotshot firefighters and other crews non-seasonal employees.

Highly trained, hard working. Get them out thinning the forest and doing controlled burns all year long. Planning for the next big one. Speaking to communities that are at risk. Getting a plan in place and so on.

People are resistant to forest management policies as much as the other side is resistant to climate change policies. Fun fact with no citation based off observation and lived experience says it's always federal and state land that burns disproportionately to private timber land. Then again that's just another inconvenient truth. Call me Al.

Full disclosure. I oppose carbon taxes, idiotic legislation against farmers etc on normal people as I don't see them as effective for combatting anything with the exception of your wallet. Which is their only true purpose and effective function. I oppose cutting of old growth. They aren't making anymore and it's highly fire resistant as is. I am all for managing second and third growth especially in adjacent populated areas. Canada as an example let a beetle decimate pine forest without intervention under major pressure from "green" groups in BC then acted surprised when all that dead fuel burned in grand fashion. BC the often cited by American idiots as a model of forest ecology does a horrible job in my eyes. Then again they are smart enough not to leave thousand acres clear-cuts next to the highway where tourons frequent. Go up the hill and look off the backside, it's like the moon.The idiots on both sides of the border and extreme positions need to be ousted in favour of common sense approaches that don't adhere to a one size fits all mantra. This is science but it's not rocket science. It just sucks the science is political for a vast many.

Last edited:

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter

I'm with you, Billy. Burn it slow now, or it's going to burn fast later.

RCF

Life of the Party

I agree. But IMHO that is just a starting point.

The US just passed an Infrastructure Bill increasing a firefighter's minimum pay to ~$15/hr. BFD. They are highly trained and highly skilled working in a very dangerous environment as well as are saving lives and property. Can't we pay them at least a living wage?

The US could reallocate the retiring C130's and form a squadron of them to help fight forest fires. Helicopters too?

Maybe the smoke hitting the East Coast will wake up people. But I am not hopeful. The US just sent 600 personnel to Canada to help with the fires. That is about 1 person per fire. That is as much help as a water pistol being used to put out a house fire.

Fires are real. It is past time to address real solutions. But better now than later...