Rod Building Single foot guides

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Anyone know the equivalency between snake guides vs single foot guides? If I use 2,3,4 size snakes, what size single foot would replace them?

rickrosner

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
No difference between snakes and single foot guides. Between either of those two and guides with inserts you want to compare IDs (internal diameter) measurements as opposed to ODs (external). There are charts available on the web.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the info. I am new to rodbuilding. I've built 3 so far. Thought I'd try single foots on the next one. Im not sure why premiere manufacturers use them on some, but not all of their models. There's quite the debate on the rodbuilders websites concerning the merits and drawbacks of them vs snake quides..

Msaville

Tackle Tart
Forum Supporter
I’m with Bagman. While it may not really be an issue I have always been suspect of single foot guides.

CRO

Steelhead
One advantage of single foot Fuji guides is their durability. It's hard to wear out those ceramic inserts compared to the steel wire of the snakes.

Bagman

Steelhead
One advantage of single foot Fuji guides is their durability. It's hard to wear out those ceramic inserts compared to the steel wire of the snakes.
Some of the newer snake guides are made out of I think Titanium (light weight and strong)

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Some of the newer snake guides are made out of I think Titanium (light weight and strong)
They use titanium guides in the higher end saltwater rods because of rust issues. The only problem with titanium or single foot guides with ceramic inserts, is their high cost. A titanium stripping guide with insert cost $12. Times that by 11 and a ceramic tip top and you are into it for $100 just for the guides. OK if your charging a $1000+ for a G Loomis. Not so good for a hobbyist...

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Now that the seasons have changed and the outdoor chores lessened, it's time to start thinking about those rodbuilding projects. Thought I'd go back to this subject of snake verses single foot guides.

Last Winter I built myself a 10ft, 6wt that I use out of my pontoon for stillwater. It's built on a NFC FAF graphite blank. I really like No. Fork products. Anyways, I used single foot guides and think they perform well. As for wrapping them, not a problem as the feet on them are quite long allowing the use of two thin strips of tape to secure and start them. I personally really like the way they look on a rod. Less busy, sleek modern look.

The only problem for me is, to sustain my hobby I need to sell the rods (for little or no profit). Most people want snake guides, so that's what I build. But for now on I would use single foot for my personal rods.

Last edited:

Chucker

Steelhead

True, but you can crack the inserts, and then they fall out. It’s easier to catch a single foot on something and bend it than a snake. Fujis are also heavy enough that it does make a difference to the action of a rod.

I put slightly oversized single foot guides on my last build, and they are OK, but I am not sure that they actually shoot line better than ordinary snakes do. They are the type where the loop is all the way down to the rod, and I think that maybe if there was a little bit of stand off they might work better.

Flymph

Steelhead
Love single foot guides or speed guides as some of the fish bums call them. SICs when I can afford them Cabelas, Mudhole, etc. when I can't afford them.

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Years ago I built a rod with single foot guides, but with all the hiking to remote lakes that I do, I have to agree with @Chucker that the single foot guides catch on things and bend too easily compared to a snake guide. I never had a single foot guide break off, but I was always thinking that one would do so. Although I liked the look of the single foot guides and thought the lower weight would make it easier to cast the rod, I really didn't feel any difference and went back to using the snake guides.

CRO

Steelhead
All that have tried or have repaired damaged snake guides, you know how difficult it can be. It takes a pair of round nosed pliers so you don't mar them. If one side pulls out of the wrapping you might as well plan on replacing it. On the other hand I have had inserts fall out of ceramic insert guides. Never had one break and rods have taken a lot of abuse in an aluminum drift boat. I never fiigured out the weight difference between the two. Two wraps and coating vs one, then the weight of the guide. Same for the action of the rod,

Jim Allen

Steelhead
All that have tried or have repaired damaged snake guides, you know how difficult it can be. It takes a pair of round nosed pliers so you don't mar them. If one side pulls out of the wrapping you might as well plan on replacing it. On the other hand I have had inserts fall out of ceramic insert guides. Never had one break and rods have taken a lot of abuse in an aluminum drift boat. I never fiigured out the weight difference between the two. Two wraps and coating vs one, then the weight of the guide. Same for the action of the rod,

CRO I agree. Due to the single wrap, Single foot guides retain more of the blanks natural action. Snake guides due to the additional wrapping add to the stiffness or action of the blank. With this being, said I don't think any individual would be unable to detect the difference and I would have to call BS if they said they could.

CRO I agree. Due to the single wrap, Single foot guides retain more of the blanks natural action. Snake guides due to the additional wrapping add to the stiffness or action of the blank. With this being, said I don't think any individual would be unable to detect the difference and I would have to call BS if they said they could.
Sorry, for a silly question. Why would the "stiffness" be different? What is stiffness anyway?