Simms Boot Studs-Product Review

BDD

Steelhead
I had a plastic cup of these for years but they sat on the shelf going unused while I slipped around wading the river. After slipping around in rubber soled boot foot waders for years, I finally put them in today. I was short so I ran down to the Worley Bugger to see if they had more, which they did. I bought another cup of them, along with some breakaway bobbers for next month. Didn't ask the price but looked at the receipt when I got home. Cost for the studs was like $35 for the 20 screws and the bobbers were almost $10 for a pack of 5. Been awhile since I bought any gear...I guess fly gear prices are catching up with gas and groceries. I don't feel so bad charging $2000 for a pontoon boat.

These aren't much different than fancy screws so there must be a huge mark up. I can see why some folks think Simms products are overpriced. If they keep me from falling in the river, I guess they are worth it. Came with a little wrench but I wound up using a nut driver that I already had. I think the wrench and calling them carbide (and the Simms label) is the reason they can charge so much. They are a different color than the first ones I bought so maybe a different metal? Anyway, they went in easy with my nut driver.

The light was waning fast. I had about 45 minutes left and quickly threw some gear in the rig and high tailed it to the river as I wanted to try them out. I was dressed in shorts, t-shirt, and Crocs with no socks. The great thing about these waders is you are in and out in seconds. I thought I could feel slight bumps from the studs but I'm guessing with felt inserts (and a pair of socks), I won't even be able to feel them. Weather was great, just a tad breezy. How often can you fish the Yakima in February in t-shirt weather? No hits (as expected) but the studs provided much more traction than just the plain rubber soles.

Felt good to get out, make a few casts, and feel the cold water and current against my legs. I briefly inspected the studs after the short wading trip, wondering if they would still be in tact or bent over. They still seemed squarely placed in the soles though it was not much of a test. If they hold up long term, I think they will work fine and much better than nothing. Anybody need a stud wrench?

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
I bought a new, unused, pair of Simms g3 wading boots last year from a guy on EBay. He had never used the boots but he had put 15 Simms HardBite Star cleats in each boot. Those cleats sell for about $30 per pack of 10 cleats, so that would have been $90.00 plus tax for the cleats in the boots.

Considering that I paid less than the normal retail price for the boots without the cleats I think I got a reasonably good deal. However, I’m pretty cheap myself and would never have put that many cleats at a cost of nearly $100 in a pair of boots that cost a bit over $200.

Wanna trade one of your pontoons for a couple pair of wading boots with Simms HardBite cleats?

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I bought a new, unused, pair of Simms g3 wading boots last year from a guy on EBay. He had never used the boots but he had put 15 Simms HardBite Star cleats in each boot. Those cleats sell for about $30 per pack of 10 cleats, so that would have been $90.00 plus tax for the cleats in the boots.
Chota charged a similar amount for screw-in studs but the soles are soft rubber and I'd lose a stud or two during a trip. After one replacement pack at $30 for *28 studs ($1.07 each???!!!)* I switched to Korkers boots for freshwater and relegated the Chotas to saltwater beaches. After a time I was slipping badly on higher gradient salt beaches in the Chotas and saw a thread on the other site regarding studs that mentioned Kold Kutter #8 screw in studs for AMA motorcycle ice racing. I paid $30 but now I get a pack of 250 (or $0.12 each) so when I lose a few screws I don't feel so bad..

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
yeah, Kold Kutter are bomber. They do tend to wear a little bit faster, but they grip really well and are cheap.

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
Chota charged a similar amount for screw-in studs but the soles are soft rubber and I'd lose a stud or two during a trip. After one replacement pack at $30 for *28 studs ($1.07 each???!!!)* I switched to Korkers boots for freshwater and relegated the Chotas to saltwater beaches. After a time I was slipping badly on higher gradient salt beaches in the Chotas and saw a thread on the other site regarding studs that mentioned Kold Kutter #8 screw in studs for AMA motorcycle ice racing. I paid $30 but now I get a pack of 250 (or $0.12 each) so when I lose a few screws I don't feel so bad..
I also use Kold Cutter as well as Simms. A small dab of Gorilla glue keeps them from falling out

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
I found the simms studs to wear rather quickly. The carbide is bonded to machine screws, the carbide falls/wears off.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Why I've been using #7 hex head sheet metal screws with the larger integral washer in my boots for decades. Get a little dinged up, a few minutes and a couple bucks to change out.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yeah, the steep price of the Simms carbide studds has kept me a Kold Kutter user. I have (affluent) friends who use the Simms studs and are very happy with them. The thing I have to beware of is when I have fresh new Kold Kutters installed in my boots, no way can I get in an inflatable with them. They are way too sharp! After they are half worn down, I've had no issues.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
thanks for the cold kutter option. Probably doesn’t matter to much of the material as long as those cleats keep you out of the emergency room,… or morgue. Cheap insurance.

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah, the steep price of the Simms carbide studds has kept me a Kold Kutter user. I have (affluent) friends who use the Simms studs and are very happy with them. The thing I have to beware of is when I have fresh new Kold Kutters installed in my boots, no way can I get in an inflatable with them. They are way too sharp! After they are half worn down, I've had no issues.
That's what these are for - https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice-black-3x3-connect/844BLKCNCT33.html