Shortwing Stones

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
The feedback to my last post from @Hoofer and @Mike Cline helped me tie together a lot of observations, thanks. Headed out today to another stream that closes today that I knew had lots of shucks in the past. I've mentioned before that I've worked out a pat's version that seems to work really well when I see shucks.
20230831_stoneswpats2.jpg
20230831_stoneswpats.jpg
As I mentioned I've noted a big black stimulator works well as a dry, and I fished one of the birds of prey I posted.
20230831_flies.jpg
I really think they are doing their fall fattening up with some stonefly nymphs.
20230831_fallfattening.jpg
The stimi worked as well.
20230831_double.jpg
I fished the bird of prey version @Buzzy liked until I lost it at the very end.
20230831_bop.jpg
The fish liked it as well, so I think it's a winner.
20230831_bopfish.jpg
Lost about a dozen flies last time, only one today, no wind. I do like to fish danger close, and really wanted to feature the two stones here. Eventually a tree reached out to claim it on a back cast.
20230831_dangerclose.jpg
Thanks for the good help and feedback. I'll say it again, love this place.

Divad

Whitefish
Even a doubled up takedown in the stream! That first picture of fly amongst shucks is excellent, the pattern is a great match. Love the photos, you have some mighty fine water near you Tom.

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Excellent! I learned a bunch more about these bugs this week — especially on the presentation side — and that 3-fly combo has me itchy to get back on the water. Good stuff!

BayouJ

Smolt
The feedback to my last post from @Hoofer and @Mike Cline helped me tie together a lot of observations, thanks. Headed out today to another stream that closes today that I knew had lots of shucks in the past. I've mentioned before that I've worked out a pat's version that seems to work really well when I see shucks.
View attachment 80258
View attachment 80259
As I mentioned I've noted a big black stimulator works well as a dry, and I fished one of the birds of prey I posted.
View attachment 80260
I really think they are doing their fall fattening up with some stonefly nymphs.
View attachment 80261
The stimi worked as well.
View attachment 80262
I fished the bird of prey version @Buzzy liked until I lost it at the very end.
View attachment 80263
The fish liked it as well, so I think it's a winner.
View attachment 80264
Lost about a dozen flies last time, only one today, no wind. I do like to fish danger close, and really wanted to feature the two stones here. Eventually a tree reached out to claim it on a back cast.
View attachment 80265
Thanks for the good help and feedback. I'll say it again, love this place.
Great fish and pictures!