Seeger Effect Strong in NE Oregon

Spent a week in NE Oregon fishing a couple of lakes. We bought our camp trailer in the area, so each spring, I take it to the dealership for service and combine it with fishing. This year, the first reservoir was full for the first time since I’ve been doing the trip. Had the pleasure of fishing with @Bakerite one afternoon and sharing dinner with him another evening. Fishing was good, but I’ve had better numbers in previous years. ODFW plants fry, so the fish are accustomed to eating natural foods rather than pellets. A dragonfly nymph on a Sink 5 line was the ticket most of the time. A few nice fish were landed. The “W” tended to come up in the evenings and the overnight temperatures were often in the 30s, which meant that the heater was used a lot. The forecast on Sunday through Monday included snow, hence the Seeger effect. My wife came down with a cold over the weekend and didn’t want to share, so she advised me to stay a few more days. But, I needed to restock a few groceries, do laundry, and definitely needed a shower, so I booked a spot in an RV park at a hot springs resort on Sunday, closer to another lake that I had never fished. On Monday, the snow forecast came to fruition and I fished in a blizzard. That lake has stocked “catchables” which were fun, but as the storm continued, the fun factor began to decrease. The hot soaking pool after getting back to the resort was a great way to warm up. The scenery and wildlife in that part of the PNW are amazing. Heard elk bugling at night and turkeys calling. Saw a pair of loons on the lake, ducks and a pair of Canada geese taking their recently hatched young for a swim, and several flocks of sandhill cranes that flew very low overhead. On Tuesday morning, I had to brush snow off the trailer slide-out before retracting it and headed home to warmer weather in the Tri-Cities.
IMG_4027.jpeg
IMG_4026.jpeg
IMG_4043.jpeg
IMG_4037.jpeg

Last edited:

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Spent a week in NE Oregon fishing a couple of lakes. We bought our camp trailer in the area, so each spring, I take it to the dealership for service and combine it with fishing. This year, the first reservoir was full for the first time since I’ve been doing the trip. Had the pleasure of fishing with @Bakerite one afternoon and sharing dinner with him another evening. Fishing was good, but I’ve had better numbers in previous years. ODFW plants fry, so the fish are accustomed to eating natural foods rather than pellets. A dragonfly nymph on a Sink 5 line was the ticket most of the time. A few nice fish were landed. The “W” tended to come up in the evenings and the overnight temperatures were often in the 30s, which meant that the heater was used a lot. The forecast on Sunday through Monday included snow, hence the Seeger effect. My wife came down with a cold over the weekend and didn’t want to share, so she advised me to stay a few more days. But, I needed to restock a few groceries, do laundry, and definitely needed a shower, so I booked a spot in an RV park at a hot springs resort on Sunday, closer to another lake that I had never fished. On Monday, the snow forecast came to fruition and I fished in a blizzard. That lake has stocked “catchables” which were fun, but as the storm continued, the fun factor began to decrease. The hot soaking pool after getting back to the resort was a great way to warm up. The scenery and wildlife in that part of the PNW are amazing. Heard elk bugling at night and turkeys calling. Saw a pair of loons on the lake, ducks and a pair of Canada geese taking their recently hatched young for a swim, and several flocks of sandhill cranes that flew very low overhead. On Tuesday morning, I had to brush snow off the trailer slide-out before retracting it and headed home to warmer weather in the Tri-Cities.
View attachment 112680
View attachment 112681
View attachment 112682
View attachment 112683
Sandhill cranes overhead and a moonrise the first evening.
IMG_4021.jpegIMG_4009.jpeg

Last edited:

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I spent time just north of Enterprise on a study. With the snow, you must have been the the Wallowa's.

Pretty country!