Saltwater Olympic Peninsula Cutthroat

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've heard murmurs and rumors about this fishery, Doug Rose briefly mentions it in one of his books and I have seen it mentioned on the national park website. But I do wonder- how would you fish for cutty in the ocean? Would it just be like fishing for surf perch but with different fly patterns? Would it be smart to focus on calmer bays?

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I know a couple guys that fish for them (as DimeBrite states) along the Central/North Oregon Coast (July-September). What they do is start in the ocean around the river/creek mouth and then move into the estuary once they've covered that area. On rare occasions, they catch one in the surf.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I know a couple guys that fish for them (as DimeBrite states) along the Central/North Oregon Coast (July-September). What they do is start in the ocean around the river/creek mouth and then move into the estuary once they've covered that area. On rare occasions, they catch one in the surf.
I really wish Oregon had a CnR salt fishery in the winter instead of just shutting it down with inland trout. I guess they are afraid of incidental surf perch bycatch.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I really wish Oregon had a CnR salt fishery in the winter instead of just shutting it down with inland trout. I guess they are afraid of incidental surf perch bycatch.
I would love to see this regulation modified to at least allow cutthroat fishing in tidewater year around. I know adult coastal cutthroat are there as I have caught them incidentally (while chasing tidewater salmon) as late as mid November and in early May. As I understand it, the reasoning for the regulation is to protect outmigrating smolts. I plan to sit down with my local fisheries biologist soon and see how hung up ODFW is on this closure.