Sage X Discontinued

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
This morning I got two emails from fly shops touting Sage X rods being discounted by 20% because they were being discontinued. I don't recall this being discussed, so it was news to me, though not unexpected because Sage has been discontinuing rod lines and coming up with new ones at a fairly frequent rate. Will be interesting to see what the replacement line will be and its cost.

JesseC

Smolt
I live right down from the sage factory and head over to the parking lot picnic tables to give out marlboro reds for juicy rumors.

The replacement for the X was going to be called the XXX. But, they've been inspired to create a completely new moniker - The Mandingo. It's going to be a ultra fast action matte black fiberglass blank. This is a big departure, the shaft is going to be super thick, tapering into an impressively skinny mid section where most of the flex occurs. New in fly rod design, the tip section tapers outward into a bulbous head. The line doesn't shoot through guides at the tip, instead shoots straight out of the hollow core ceramic barreled head. The proprietary dimpled mushroom head is designed to maintain rigidity post shaft flex, so you can keep thumpin those juicy buckets with your Mandingo all day and night.

They promise it'll launch t-22 150yards with little effort. They designed the mandingo with feeble geriatric insecure fly casters in mind. They wouldn't bring one out in the parking lot to show me...... just drew a lot of bizzare pictures...and made a lot of seemingly obscene casting motions with their hands........ weird crew over there.

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I live right down from the sage factory and head over to the parking lot picnic tables to give out marlboro reds for juicy rumors.

The replacement for the X was going to be called the XXX. But, they've been inspired to create a completely new moniker - The Mandingo. It's going to be a ultra fast action matte black fiberglass blank. This is a big departure, the shaft is going to be super thick, tapering into an impressively skinny mid section where most of the flex occurs. New in fly rod design, the tip section tapers outward into a bulbous head. The line doesn't shoot through guides at the tip, instead shoots straight out of the hollow core ceramic barreled head. The proprietary dimpled mushroom head is designed to maintain rigidity post shaft flex, so you can keep thumpin those juicy buckets with rigidity all day and night.

They promise it'll launch t-22 150yards with little effort. They designed the mandingo with feeble geriatric insecure fly casters in mind. They wouldn't bring one out in the parking lot to show me...... just drew a lot of bizzare pictures...and made a lot of seemingly obscene casting motions with their hands........ weird crew over there.
I'm thinking those ain't Marlboros your handing out...

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
My X, at least the finish isn't looking real great.
Especially after a golden retriever got super excited an stepped on it while I was taking pictures of a big searun I had just landed.
Barnacles and oysters did a number but luckily it didn't break. Taking a couple headers didn't help it either or my Galvan T-6.
Some serious road rash on both.
The X will eventually get fixed as it is starting to develop a serious condition....the famous @Nick Clayton cork dent syndrome. ;)
SF

Last edited:

JesseC

Smolt
Just confirmed.

The X is in fact being replaced by the XXX. Somehow Fairbank has landed Vin Diesel as the exclusive spokesperson.

The XXX is an entirely new rod category. The BPSN - Big Pacific Style Nymphing.

Sage did some market research and found out that everyone who got really into Euro Nymphing got quickly burnt out. Everyone knows this is the end.

BPSN is a 21’ Koenotic Synticulous blank. No longer will guides be relegated to watching their clients roll cast Spey rods from the shore in futility.

The BPSN maintains tip sensitivity in such a massive shaft by leveraging an industry new, finger electrolysis feedback mechanism. You feel every tickle of the tip in the rod handle - while you nymph probe the distant buckets from shore with ease.

Siiiiiick

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I don't know if I should reveal this insider trade secret but Sage has just completely reinvented the rod protection industry. I got my hands on a prototype of the new 100% impervious to water rod sock that will come with every new Sage XXX rod.1645771431764.jpg

Last edited:

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I have a pfluger, and a North x Northwest, I have no concept of what a high end rod is like. Aka "Poor."

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Sage's website is now hosted under farbanks website. Which is new to me. Wonder if there's some more shaking things up about to happen.

@Stonedfish I thought the warranty schedule was broken down by current rods, then recent rods (more expensive to fix than current rods) and then older rods (even more expensive). If you're going to get it fixed, might be cheaper to do it now while it's still kind of a current rod model. I might be off on the different warranty cost tiers though.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Sage's website is now hosted under farbanks website. Which is new to me. Wonder if there's some more shaking things up about to happen.

@Stonedfish I thought the warranty schedule was broken down by current rods, then recent rods (more expensive to fix than current rods) and then older rods (even more expensive). If you're going to get it fixed, might be cheaper to do it now while it's still kind of a current rod model. I might be off on the different warranty cost tiers though.

Might be out of commission for awhile as I doubt warranty turnaround is very speedy right now.
SF

JesseC

Smolt
Sage is the best factory rod. Orvis was better when they came with a wicker trout creel.

I can’t speak to Scott. But, one thing is true - Scott lovers really love their Scott’s. I bet they’re swell.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I have bought a bunch of Sage rods over the last 5-6 years. The factory is literally 5 minutes from my house so it made sense before covid. Some of their fast action stuff is great for coho IMO. At least from a casting perspective. Not great for other applications. Not great from a durability perspective. I love Scott rods as well and will likely buy more of those go forward. Just picked up a 7 weight Centric as a backup for Coho and river streamer fishing. Probably my go to AK rod go forward. I also love Winston rods for trout applications, especially dry fly fishing.

I’ve had a Sage Maverick in for repair for 16 weeks now. Checked in after 12 weeks and the response was “issues graphite and supply chain”. Ok, get it. No issues with graphite for the new line you’ll be replacing the X with? The Maverick is literally one of your newest models.

Rods are fine for specific applications but more marketing and not enough substance IMO from Sage. Konnetic versus konnetic HD. Sage One w/ Konnetic $900. Sage Maverick with Konnetic….which from what I can tell casting it is a rebranded Sage One …$550 :)?

I’ve thought about getting a discounted X as a backup for PS fishing. Unless they get super steeply discounted I probably will not….

Roadglideguy

"Spawned and so done"
I heard Sage is making a drone that will carry your fly out the distance you want and where you want...lol. I love the X rod. I used to use Z axis but after a swim and gear loss episode replaced all with X. Does anyone know if they make a 12 weight? I have 2 -5wts, 2-6wts. 2-8 wts and 2-10s. If one breaks I can easily transition. Honestly never broke a Sage other than driving over it

Roadglideguy

"Spawned and so done"
Sage is the best factory rod. Orvis was better when they came with a wicker trout creel.

I can’t speak to Scott. But, one thing is true - Scott lovers really love their Scott’s. I bet they’re swell.
I have two 12 wt, 9 ft ...Scott Radians I want to sell if I can find 12 wt in Sage X

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The Sage X is/was on a discount sale up to 40% off. Of course the 40 percenters are all gone. I dont believe anyone had a large inventory of the X seeing how Sage itself has been out of inventory on most of their X rods for quite some time.

I don’t know for sure but I believe this will be new rod designer Peter Knox’s first flagship rod design/build without Jerry Seim. The two collaborated on the X as Knox was being mentored and Seim was one foot out the door.

Yes the Sage website has changed. It has Rio, Redington, and another l company linked up with them. Perhaps soon to be one website for all those companies?

Was out with the RPL the other day. Damn fine rod. And I just love the craftsmanship and that brown color!!
X or X2 …. Nah, no thanks. Better things to spend 1K on imho.

Last edited: