Sage Salt

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Does anyone have any experience with the older version Sage Salt? I have a line on a 9 weight but I really know nothing about it.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Does anyone have any experience with the older version Sage Salt? I have a line on a 9 weight but I really know nothing about it.
I used to own the original Sage Salt in an 8 weight. It is a decent sight casting rod for flats fishing, but lacks power at longer distances. Not a bad fly rod when paired with a quality fly line.

Edit - I traded a 8 wt Sage Salt for a new/unused S9 wt Scott Meridian, my most favorite fly rod ever.

Last edited:

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The 9 weight is the crown of the line up. IMHO. That thing can pick up so much line and redirect a good long cast. It feels a tad heavy but has a good fling factor as I like to call it. That was my favorite among the original salts I casted including the the 6-8 and 10 also. The 9 had some spunk.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
I still have an 8wt as my main/primary 8wt. It doesn't get used super often these days but it's a decent rod. Like @DimeBrite I have always felt it's a bit underpowered for long distances and heavy lines/flies I am often using with it. Quite fragile too.