Rod Building Rod Extension Issues.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I have a 9' graphite blank that I am thinking about turning into 9'6" rod using a stent cut from an old rod. I'm wondering if adding just 6" to the butt would have a detrimental effect on the rods action.? This would be for casting from a sitting position from a pram, hence the desire for a longer rod. What do you think? I would be using a fighting butt. This is a 2-piece blank...

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I can't imagine it would make a difference if you're adding it to the butt, assuming it's similar stiffness. Adding it to the tip section would be more problematic.

If you're really worried, you can dry fit the extension, tape on some guides, and test it out.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I can't imagine it would make a difference if you're adding it to the butt, assuming it's similar stiffness. Adding it to the tip section would be more problematic.

If you're really worried, you can dry fit the extension, tape on some guides, and test it .

The reel seat and fighting butt would mostly cover the new 6in. stent area. So it's not a doing a lot of flexing. The grip would still be on the original blank. The 9'6" blanks are much more expensive than 9 footers..

Chucker

Steelhead
Done it a time or two, mostly with spinning rods. Never had any problems. It’s actually nice having a grip that doesn’t flex when you have a big fish on.

Divad

Whitefish
I’d be curious how this affects swing weight and balance. Be it you’ve casted the rod before (?) it would be a neat bit of testing to report back on.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I’d be curious how this affects swing weight and balance. Be it you’ve casted the rod before (?) it would be a neat bit of testing to report back on.
No, it’s a raw unbuilt blank. Shouldn’t be any different than when you use a stent to fit a reel seat on a glass rod.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I have a 9' graphite blank that I am thinking about turning into 9'6" rod using a stent cut from an old rod. I'm wondering if adding just 6" to the butt would have a detrimental effect on the rods action.? This would be for casting from a sitting position from a pram, hence the desire for a longer rod. What do you think? I would be using a fighting butt. This is a 2-piece blank...
Make sure you use some kind of external reinforcement on the female end.. fiberglass twine is best if you can find it.