"riffle hitched' tube flies

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I follow scandi-style social media stuff for inspiration and new things to try, and yeah, lots of riffle hitch tubes, especially tiny little ones.

1713040164674.png

Might be applicable for summer steelhead since they are more likely to move to hit something small higher up.

If I'm going to hitch something, I fish a muddler with a no-twist knot going up through a down-eye hook. Not realy a "hitch", per se.

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I follow scandi-style social media stuff for inspiration and new things to try, and yeah, lots of riffle hitch tubes, especially tiny little ones.

View attachment 110515

Might be applicable for summer steelhead since they are more likely to move to hit something small higher up.

If I'm going to hitch something, I fish a muddler with a no-twist knot going up through a down-eye hook. Not realy a "hitch", per se.
I bought a couple of these last year https://www.umpqua.com/boilermaker-grillos/ I rig it the same as you do the muddler, non slip Loop on that down eye hook. It floats ass-end down without tension and makes a modest wake under tension. I suspect the 'riffle hitched' tube flies will do the same.

Zoran

Steelhead
Mikael Frodin make some hitch flies. I was thinking to tie some. Fulling Mill sells some.

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
All this is getting me excited for summer fishing: wet wading, full float Scandi or short-belly. Nothing to carry but a an extra leader, some tippet and a handful of flies.