REMINDER TO GET APPROPRIATE FISHING LICENSES & PARKING PASSES!

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I get not leaving things up to chance, but the license is supposed to still work without reception, you have to make sure to load it up on your phone while you still have service, and then keep the app running in the background. Your license should stay visible when you lose reception, as long as the app has been running in the background.
I also take a screenshot of the license to have another level of redundancy and usually that's what I show the LEO.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Bought a clam license the other day from a dealer. Total nightmare. Took forever nobody could get the system not to crash. This is the progress WDFW and this state make. It was enough of a hassle to make me not want to participate. Maybe that's the grand conservation plan. Make it so idiotic and troublesome that all sporting folks give up. Then salmon will be saved.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Only fishing license I've ever bought online was Alaskan...easy-peasy. Probaby because their regs just aren't all that complicated...yet.

krusty

Forum Supporter
I have had great results with Montana.
Managing a state like WA with shitloads of people is inherently more complicated...lots of 'one-off' areas in constant danger of over-harvesting.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Wife and I are set for the year. 23-24 catch cards due in by end of month.
I've liked the new fish wa app. Be nice if we could do licensing and catch cards through it. Seems managers could make real good use of real time catch data. Wouldn't take much to set up a push pin with pull down attributes in a GIS.

Attachments

• 20240401_163437.jpg
    20240401_163437.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 4

krusty

Forum Supporter
I've liked the new fish wa app. Be nice if we could do licensing and catch cards through it. Seems managers could make real good use of real time catch data. Wouldn't take much to set up a push pin with pull down attributes in a GIS.
Baby steps, baby steps.

krusty

Forum Supporter
That means:
1 step forward and 3 steps backward with several steps sideways 🤪
And several well-earned knots on the head!

Reactions: RCF

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
...I've liked the new fish wa app. Be nice if we could do licensing and catch cards through it. Seems managers could make real good use of real time catch data. Wouldn't take much to set up a push pin with pull down attributes in a GIS.
It's a database! Add stocking data. Add queries for (stacked) filters like "county", "year-round", "Open" (not closed), "fly fishing only", "Selective Gear", species, date stocked... Add an interactive map. Anyone remember the interactive high lakes stocking map with the color-coded symbols for recently stocked, established, and overabundance? What an AWESOME trip planning tool that was before they deprecated it! :cry::mad:

RCF

Life of the Party

GIS data = hotspotting, maybe even where on a river/lake/beach...

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
When I was at HQ today getting my license and being, I mentioned that I am able to use an app to buy my Florida saltwater license and that I get automatic renewal notices and I have the option of automatic renewal. They mentioned that they are working on the ability to purchase a license through the app and it may be sooner than later, but I am not holding my breath. I am sure electronic CRCs have been discussed and I do not know if that will become a reality in the future. Time will tell. It would be nice.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
GIS data = hotspotting, maybe even where on a river/lake/beach...

True, but that data can be gereralized to the river, MA, or other area and the specific coordinates not recorded or retained. The data on the CRCs are very general.

Of course, it would be pretty attractive for the state to collect and use that data, maybe even for good public benefit. If so, you'd have to look really hard at the privacy ramifications of doing that. That GPS record uniquely identifies your device and accurately places you at a spcific location at a specific time.

I'd prefer paper for that very reason.