Real Men Fishing (NY Times)

kmudgn

Steelhead

Too cold for fishing? Not for these ‘true Mainers’.

Two men in a tent set up on a frozen pond for ice fishing.

Dan, left, and Deven Shay did not let the frigid conditions in Rockland, Maine, keep them from ice fishing.Credit...Polly Saltonstall

While health officials in Maine urged residents to stay inside as the wind howled and temperatures dropped into negative territory on Friday, Dan and Deven Shay were out ice-fishing on Chickawaukie Pond in Rockland.

They erected a canvas pop-up tent at 9:30 a.m., set out baited hooks in holes they drilled through the ice, then sat inside the tent, which was kept warm by a portable propane heater, and waited for the fish to bite.

For lunch, the Shay brothers cooked up moose steaks and deer sausage. Outside, the wind pushed swirls of snow around and occasionally tripped one of the flags marking their lures, tricking them into thinking they had caught something. By midafternoon they had caught four brook trout, which they planned to smoke, and one largemouth bass. They said they were not bothered by the cold, and neither were the fish. Except, Dan Shay noted, when a fish was too small to keep, he had to get it back in the water fast because “otherwise their eyeballs freeze.”
Deven Shay, 31, said none of the friends or relatives invited to accompany them accepted the offer. But that did not deter them.
“Everyone was telling us to stay inside, but we said, we’re going fishing,” he said. “We’re true Mainers.”
Deven Shay works at a fishermen’s wharf in Friendship, Maine, buying and selling lobsters. Dan Shay, 33, is a welder for a local contractor.
Neither brother was sure if they would go fishing again on Saturday. Dan Shay said he might go out in the woods, instead, and look for deer antlers — this is the time of year when they shed them.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
There are some things in this world that I just don’t understand, and ice fishing is one of them. But good on them.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not sure where they were “fishing” but Rockland fronts salt water with a significant tide swing.

They remind me of Bob & Doug McKenzie the faux Canadian duo from the 80s Great White North.

ABITNF

Steelhead
Now is the winter of their discount tent.

I like to see stories like this. The inside dwellers read this as being difficult and dangerous. Killing your own moose. Braving freezing temperatures. It's so much easier to order online and have Door Dash deliver.

That's for sure! Stay inside with Netflix and your Google machine. Go out and you could be mauled by a bear or murdered by some crazed mountain man who only eats raw flesh.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter

BriGuy

Life of the Party
There's no room for your backcast in that tent.
Nope. You only roll cast weighted filies into the hole. On the plus side, you never have to mend and the beer stays cold.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Back when I went ice fishing we had no tent. No heat. No tip ups. No chairs.
But there was beer.

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
I’m intrigued by it. When we all had the COVID shack nasties, Jeremy F from up Kamloops way sent me some photos of Kokanee fillets after a trip. They looked delicious, if I could get stuff like that, I’d be up for it.

Dave

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
Now is the winter of their discount tent.

I like to see stories like this. The inside dwellers read this as being difficult and dangerous. Killing your own moose. Braving freezing temperatures. It's so much easier to order online and have Door Dash deliver.

That's for sure! Stay inside with Netflix and your Google machine. Go out and you could be mauled by a bear or murdered by some crazed mountain man who only eats raw flesh.
”While health officials in Maine urged residents to stay inside”. Are there really people who consult “health officials” before deciding to go fishing…or an activity for that matter? Where would one go to find the opinion of a local health officials if they wanted that kind of advice? 🤣🤣🤣