Prescription Polarized Glasses?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
If it makes you feel any better, I haven’t had lasik and also am starting to have trouble with glare on dark roads.
I'm honestly just so sick of my kid ruining my glasses.
She breaks a pair every 6 months.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I'm honestly just so sick of my kid ruining my glasses.
She breaks a pair every 6 months.
Yeah, breaking glasses and kicking groins

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Here are my Smith Soundtracks (medium fit for my face). You can see that there's not a ton of curvature to them, but they do a pretty good job of blocking out light from the sides. not perfect, but I'll take the trade-off of less distortion.
Wow, nice frames. Do you have progressive lenses?

I laid my B&L Predator glasses on the screen and sized the picture as best I could to match temple to temple. It appears that the Predator has more curvature, especially at the outer end but also vertically near the center, where the presbyopia correction is.

Hmmm, I don't really need new lenses right now but I might take the Predator frame into the Optometrist's office sometime and ask if the latest prescription will work in them.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Wow, nice frames. Do you have progressive lenses?

I laid my B&L Predator glasses on the screen and sized the picture as best I could to match temple to temple. It appears that the Predator has more curvature, especially at the outer end but also vertically near the center, where the presbyopia correction is.

Hmmm, I don't really need new lenses right now but I might take the Predator frame into the Optometrist's office sometime and ask if the latest prescription will work in them.
Thx, I don't wear progressives, so I can't speak to how well the Smith lab does them (or whatever lab they contract out to)

Perhaps if going with glass lenses, you wouldn't get the distortion on the curves but I don't know. Given my prescription, the weight of glass would have been prohibitive. I so have a pair of standard Smith polarized photochromic sunglasses with glass and I absolutely love them. I just don't wear my contacts all that often anymore.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I had LASIK about 5 or 6 years ago and now I'm back to needing glasses. There's the other procedure that's out there you might check into that.
I had cataract surgery about the same time but didn’t correct for my astigmatism in the left eye. Finally broke down and wear daily contacts when I am doing outdoor things like fishing and hunting. When I’m just knocking around the house I wear my prescription eye glasses, which only have a slight correction. The contacts allow me to use my Oakley sunglasses, which I love. But, at some point I can see going with prescription sunglasses and dropping the contacts. Appreciate the advice in this thread.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
The not wearing contacts much or anymore seems to be a common theme as folks get older.
I got to a point where I just didn’t enjoy wearing them anymore, especially while doing things like fishing. Prescription sunglasses are a game changer. I have a old beater pair of prescription glass I throw in my pack if I know I’ll be fishing super early or late.
I’ve got an upcoming appointment to get a new prescription and plan to hit the Warby Parker store in U Village to pick up a couple more pairs of glasses. I’m also going to see what they offer as far as sunglasses.
SF

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Slightly off-thread, but what I did was have Eyeglass Express make a pair of polarized polycarbonate prescription lenses for one of their safety ANSI frames. Wide selection of tough safety frames, many of which are 'wrap-around' style. Just another possibility.