Pin to Win Baby

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
When I fished with Evan a couple years ago I was worried it would become popular and everybody would be crushing it. Definitely the way to catch fish.

Then I tried to cast it. Not so worried now. That shit is hard!
Truth be told, since then, I've caught more steelhead on the spey rod than the pin. Spoons have caught the most, then spey, then pin.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
When I fished with Evan a couple years ago I was worried it would become popular and everybody would be crushing it. Definitely the way to catch fish.

In 2019 I had a customer ask if he could bring his newly acquired pin setup out on a Puget Sound pink trip (the origination of my pic above). I knew very little about it at the time but I'm always up to try goofy new stuff.

Dude really hadn't cast the setup much, and I am not sure I've ever laughed so hard on a boat as I did that day as he tried to learn to cast. He was super cool and laughed every bit as much as I did. Especially since his buddy was in the bow roping pinkers with the bug rod. Good times.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
In 2019 I had a customer ask if he could bring his newly acquired pin setup out on a Puget Sound pink trip (the origination of my pic above). I knew very little about it at the time but I'm always up to try goofy new stuff.

Dude really hadn't cast the setup much, and I am not sure I've ever laughed so hard on a boat as I did that day as he tried to learn to cast. He was super cool and laughed every bit as much as I did. Especially since his buddy was in the bow roping pinkers with the bug rod. Good times.
a pin is most definitely NOT the rod I would take on a puget sound pink trip. they're useless when you aren't on a stream.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I have not been out chasing steel much in the last couple years. Planning on heading over to the OP in a couple weeks, getting the pin rods and reels primed for action.

Russell

Steelhead
Pinning is something I started test driving a few years ago. I still kind of suck casting now. All of my hookups have been on shad but that’s been helpful for the learning curve.
I bought a 13 and then a 15 foot rod. I really like the long rod and how easy it is to fish and adjust fixed floats. It seems like most are fishing the shorter rods. What’s your reasoning or advantage.

Ian Broadie

Smolt
Forum Supporter

I remember Evan and I standing on the Sky about 10 or so years ago where we were looking at my first pin setup and saying "Well what the fuck do we do now?". Not too long after that, probably 2 spools of mono, I figured out that chum are especially fun on a reel with no drag... and then there's the Methow, I so dearly miss pinning that river.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Something I mentioned in the other forum... The pin is also a deadly short-fin grayling tool. A couple people have commented on my Whitefish Death Machine (WDM) that Jim Kerr mentioned in his blog post a while back - 10' 4wt CTS blanks and a Young's Lightweight reel.

It's just a super scaled down steelhead/salmon float rig with a 4-6gr float, 1/8oz inline and a #14 Copper John, maybe a tiny pinch of tungsten putty if the current is faster.

HOG

GOTY’s mum’s favorite ghillie
I wonder who introduced Evan to the joy of the center pin :D
I’m pretty sure I recall my first attempt at casting, in the ol’ clackamax, mayhaps 2014ish and needless to say I picked my spinning rod back up after. But watching the adjustability and drag free drift got me hooked, plus never had as much fun fighting a fish