Penns Creek

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I'm headed back to central PA. end of June to do final repairs and clean up of the family property before liquidation, and want to spend some time fishing Penns Creek.

It's been 50 + years since I've done that, but was thinking I'd hit the areas around New Berlin by the American Legion down to Little Mexico campground , the village of Penns Creek, and maybe the Hartleton/Laurelton area.

Any recommendations for gear or flies from those of you familiar with that area?

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Penns creek angler has a pretty comprehensive (and good) list of bugs. It’s Penns so you will see lots of bugs and depending on the day will dictate some more than others. I’m not much help as I tend to smallmouth bass fish more after Fathers Day but don’t be afraid to fish some green weenies and make sure to take beetles and ants. I tend to fish slower trout rods and really like a 6wt as it can do anything but some like fish 3s and 4s for smaller dries in lower water. Anything in those ranges will be good. Enjoy, it’s a great place!

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
When I saw the Penns Creek title I had to double check to make sure was on on the right forum.

Wish I could be of some help, but I‘ve never fished Penns that far downstream. I drove past there 2x last week, once to fish above Weikert and once when going to Pine Creek but I didn’t as much as slow down as I went past that area.

My suggestion would be to join the PA fly fishing forum (if you aren’t already a member) and post your query there. Most of the discussions there are on trout fishing this time of the year, but I know there are some members on that forum who live in that general area and are likely to be familiar with what the fishing would be like there at the end of June.

Penns Creek water flow (at the Penns Creek gauge) was exceptionally low last week until we had a lot of rain starting on Friday. Now, Penns is blown out and will probably stay that way until sometime early next week. Who knows what the conditions will be there at the end of June. Hope you have a nice trip going back home.

John

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Thanks guys. I'll check those suggestions out.

I found Penns Creek Angler google searching, but I did not find a non facebook link. So, I'll call them this weekend. been a long time since I was in Milmont for anything.

I know The Bike Shop in Lewisburg has flies and terminal tackle, but most of it is suited for the lower reaches of Buffalo Creek and the immediate area of the river there.

I've never fished it above Wesley Forest campground, but I know that the upper reaches are world famous for its trout.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

You could also talk with the feathered hook. Further west/up creek but the guides fish the length of penns for trout and small mouth so they should have useful info too.

Just realized that you had asked about a specific area - I also have never fished that low but my understanding is that it is a pretty good fishery still at that time of year. You’re also only 30min drive from new Berlin to weikert so that may be an option as well. Let us know how you do! I live in PA and haven’t fished penns in a long while (too long)

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
When I saw the Penns Creek title I had to double check to make sure was on on the right forum.

Wish I could be of some help, but I‘ve never fished Penns that far downstream. I drove past there 2x last week, once to fish above Weikert and once when going to Pine Creek but I didn’t as much as slow down as I went past that area.

My suggestion would be to join the PA fly fishing forum (if you aren’t already a member) and post your query there. Most of the discussions there are on trout fishing this time of the year, but I know there are some members on that forum who live in that general area and are likely to be familiar with what the fishing would be like there at the end of June.

Penns Creek water flow (at the Penns Creek gauge) was exceptionally low last week until we had a lot of rain starting on Friday. Now, Penns is blown out and will probably stay that way until sometime early next week. Who knows what the conditions will be there at the end of June. Hope you have a nice trip going back home.

John
Funny

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Just an update; Campus Cycle and Fly Fishing in Lewisburg permanently closed. (might be business opportunity for someone)

Boops Sporting Goods in Vicksburg DOES NOT sell hunting or fishing licenses despite what anyone says online. (You hearing us FB and Yelp???)

Penns Creek Angler, Weikert; Bruce is seasonal. Sign on the door today says " When it gets too hot to fish, or too hot FOR the fish," .....as it is now, he's only open via phone call from a local angler. Honestly, I like that.

Soooo,
1.) Mifflinburg Variety sells licenses according to the commonwealth website.

2.) Glad I brought some flies w/ me. They may or may not, work.

3. Gonna reach out to a couple of old high school classmates. One used to be a stellar tyer in our teenage years.(chalk that up to his dad being the high school biology teacher. Bet it sucked being in his dad's classes)

Had two tornadoes Sunday. Still experiencing fast violent thunderstorms in the afternoons. I should still be able to get a few hours in sometimes in the next week or so.

Divad

Whitefish
Download the [absolutely horrible] app called FishBrain. Likely some catches in the area that might give you an idea of size/type of fish in a body of water.

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
Just an update; Campus Cycle and Fly Fishing in Lewisburg permanently closed. (might be business opportunity for someone)

Boops Sporting Goods in Vicksburg DOES NOT sell hunting or fishing licenses despite what anyone says online. (You hearing us FB and Yelp???)

Penns Creek Angler, Weikert; Bruce is seasonal. Sign on the door today says " When it gets too hot to fish, or too hot FOR the fish," .....as it is now, he's only open via phone call from a local angler. Honestly, I like that.

Soooo,
1.) Mifflinburg Variety sells licenses according to the commonwealth website.

2.) Glad I brought some flies w/ me. They may or may not, work.

3. Gonna reach out to a couple of old high school classmates. One used to be a stellar tyer in our teenage years.(chalk that up to his dad being the high school biology teacher. Bet it sucked being in his dad's classes)

Had two tornadoes Sunday. Still experiencing fast violent thunderstorms in the afternoons. I should still be able to get a few hours in sometimes in the next week or so.
Welcome home!

Speaking of those tornadoes, a fly fisherman who’s on the PA fly fishing forum was involved in onevof those tornadoes. He lives just southwest of Lewisburg and was out buying fireworks for the 4th of July with his young son when the tornado tore through the Fireworks place.

Here’s a link to his post on that other forum: https://www.paflyfish.com/threads/s...en-it-got-hit-by-a-tornado.82877/#post-942459. Incidentally, he is a frequent Penns Creek angler. I know he fishes for trout a lot above Weikert. I’m not sure if he fishes farther downstream.

I completely agree with you about Bruce at Penns Creek Angler. I believe he closed his shop for the season a couple weeks ago.

John

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You might reach out to Dominick at Troutbitten.com. He’s in that area and fishes pretty much all those waters.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
You might reach out to Dominick at Troutbitten.com. He’s in that area and fishes pretty much all those waters.
Thanks ill check out Dominick, too.

Yeah, I'm in a campground northwest of Mifflinburg
Didn't know about the tornadoes until a day later.

Right now, am thinking ants, gnats, crickets, an olive and silver clouser or two, maybe a frog or mouse...
Missing Bruce? My fault I should have called before I got here, or checked his blog. Had no idea he does that. But, it makes total sense. And can't fault him for it. Maybe larger entities could take a lesson from his ethics...

Last edited:

MT_Flyfisher

Life of the Party
I'm headed back to central PA. end of June to do final repairs and clean up of the family property before liquidation, and want to spend some time fishing Penns Creek.

It's been 50 + years since I've done that, but was thinking I'd hit the areas around New Berlin by the American Legion down to Little Mexico campground , the village of Penns Creek, and maybe the Hartleton/Laurelton area.

Any recommendations for gear or flies from those of you familiar with that area?
Thanks ill check out Dominick, too.

Yeah, I'm in a campground northwest of Mifflinburg
Didn't know about the tornadoes until a day later.

Right now, am thinking ants, gnats, crickets, an olive and silver clouser or two, maybe a frog or mouse...
Missing Bruce? My fault I should have called before I got here, or checked his blog. Had no idea he does that. But, it makes total sense. And can't fault him for it. Maybe larger entities could take a lesson from his ethics...
I’m sending you a private message on fishing Penns Creek from a local guy who fishes it often that should get you started.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Visited The Blue Heron in Milton yesterday.. my credit card was begging for mercy as I walked thru the aisles 😄. David has gear for just about every type of fishing you can do locally, and even stuff for charter boats and Chesapeake Bay fishing. And like any good shop he has his ears and eyes open as to what's working and where.

The fly selection isn't huge, it's a bit scattered throughout the store, but it's comprehensive, so grabbed some stuff that will imitate a lot of local forage. With the Japanese beetles still around , picked up some mop flies that are a good match and a few crickets, hoppers and other bugs. This should be fun.

They ARE an Orvis dealer but I saw other brands as well. There's about 1 1/2 aisles of tying materials, vises, tools etc but there's plenty of gear slinging stuff too.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
So was 0 for 6 this morning, switching between a size 8 cricket and a size 10 green foam hopper. The size 12 black mop fly with green tinsel wing was getting ignored.

Trying to bank it on Penns Creek because I forgot the waders and only 1 set of sneakers with me so no wet wading.

Also, am starting to think this "5wt" could benefit from a WF6F instead of what's in it. It feels like the line that came with it won't load the rod properly, and that seems to be hampering my distance.

This is only one of the spots I've tried.

Attachments

• 20230801_110908.jpg
    20230801_110908.jpg
    924.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230801_120443.jpg
    20230801_120443.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
O- 3 today. Found the public access on the north side of the creek about 2/3 of a mile from Penns Creek Angler.

From the parking lot, you walk in and are fishing on your left. The right side is private, cabins and lodges (seasonal cabins and rod n gun clubs) Locals call it the "old man trail"

Stuffed 2 small fly boxes, some tippet and a few other odds n ends in my xargo pockets and shuffled down the road.

Started with a Grey hopper again.. nada. Switched to a brown hopper, got a tug but it wouldn't stay buttoned.

I switched to a damsel fly imitation and over the course of the next hour I got tail slapped twice and eaten twice. Again, not staying buttoned. And, from the way they ate, definitely trout. My estimation on the size of the fish is 6 -10 inches. Not giants, but feisty.

Local rules posted at entry say do not take fish out of water at all if air temp is over 70. So, even if i did catch something, i wasnt going to CPR it. Just C nR.

Here's a few pics from along the route:

Attachments

• 20230802_154250.jpg
    20230802_154250.jpg
    783.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230802_154122.jpg
    20230802_154122.jpg
    563.4 KB · Views: 6

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Also, I'd love to have this property at the end of the road. That's the only pic I could get. The rest of the property is posted and from the looks of it from the front gate, this is a corporate, institutional, or wealthy person owned hideaway.

Attachments

• 20230802_154720.jpg
    20230802_154720.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17