NFR Paddle boarding in Snoqualmie river; 2 fatalities

Non-fishing related

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wife saw it on Facebook, 2 separate incidents 10 days apart, same riffle near Fall City. Gravel shelf pushes current to bank which has several sweepers laying at 45 degrees or less to bank. Both victims had leash attaching them to board, WTF! If you’re going to paddle board a river you shouldn’t attach to the board. Betting no PFD either, may not have helped.
Second victim was 17, property owners saw him in the water, pulled him out and administered CPR without success.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Brutal. I do plenty of flat water SUPing but river SUPing just feels way to awkward for me. The feet sideways bit is just wrong in my head.

I think most river SUPers do have a leash but it goes to a quick release belt and doesn't hang in the water.

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Sorry to hear about the two who didn't make it. Must be a nasty spot.

Going surf stance on the big river feels ok to me. Probably because I have plenty of room to maneuver and no consequences if I huli.

Doing the same in narrowish white water sketches me out. I avoid it. Releaseable leash for sure in WW.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Sad deal.
I'm always amazed at how many people I see out of Puget Sound on SUPs without wearing a PFD. Some even in winter months.
Just kind of boggles my mind and stuff can happen very quickly.
SF

Divad

Whitefish
I tend to think sups have no place on rivers for most. Floating is a game of predicting future movements and the single paddle standing aspect makes course changes more difficult.

Compound with a lack of skill in foreseeing these hazards and it’s an ugly combo. I’d put my money on a drunk in a semi tube over sups even. These are sad loses.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
I have wached guys in SUPs going down the canyoun section of the Skykomish, usually with a kayaker and usually trying to play in the waves like the kayaks do.
Its all based of ones skill set and machismo, the white water guys are a different lot!

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
If I had to guess, it's this section of the river below plums that is the problem area. It's really shallow along the inside bank at low water and the river really takes you into the bank. It looks fairly innocent as you're coming into it, and then next thing you know you're up against the rocks with logs downstream. There's typically been signs along the river in the past telling tubers etc. to get out and portage.

Matter of fact, last year my brother in law went tubing and I told him not to fuck around with this section and just get out. They didn't listen and popped two tubes running thru it. Got lucky.

Haven't been up there this year, but I wonder if the signs aren't up anymore.

1690915981560.png

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In the snow no less! Kook.

I've seen lots of the river SUPers wearing shin guards.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
If I had to guess, it's this section of the river below plums that is the problem area. It's really shallow along the inside bank at low water and the river really takes you into the bank. It looks fairly innocent as you're coming into it, and then next thing you know you're up against the rocks with logs downstream. There's typically been signs along the river in the past telling tubers etc. to get out and portage.

Matter of fact, last year my brother in law went tubing and I told him not to fuck around with this section and just get out. They didn't listen and popped two tubes running thru it. Got lucky.

Haven't been up there this year, but I wonder if the signs aren't up anymore.

View attachment 75608
The signs are there. There are signs all over about the hazards, safety, get out here, etc.