Oregon snowpack suddenly looking much better

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
I never thought we'd have a water problem here in the PNW yet here we are. This could be the new normal.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Lookin' better today and they say more to come, hope so

Attachments

• 20220413_104937.jpg
    20220413_104937.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Do you think the NRCS is a reliable source or is this a group that benefits from negative predictions?
It's data, from this government agency. It's not cable news.

Cynicism of data is killing this country. Most of it is unfounded. It's straight data from the same site and places as all the years before.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter

Cynicism of data is killing this country. Most of it is unfounded. It's straight data from the same site and places as all the years before.
I link to the same one each time. But I was looking around and depending on how you enter the site and the variables that are selected the results are what varies. I need to make sure I'm looking at apples to apples, or water content to water content, or whatever choice of monitoring is.

longputt

Steelhead

Most of what are presented is not data. We get plots that are someones interpretation of the data compared to what they feel is normal!

NRCS gives us a % based on what they think is normal. Their normal may be based on a motive to lobby Congress.

Cynicism is healthy..always question the data and consider the motivation of the source.

The NRCS plots are NOT data they are digital interpretations of the data.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Most of what are presented is not data. We get plots that are someones interpretation of the data compared to what they feel is normal!

NRCS gives us a % based on what they think is normal. Their normal may be based on a motive to lobby Congress.

Cynicism is healthy..always question the data and consider the motivation of the source.

The NRCS plots are NOT data they are digital interpretations of the data.

Cynicism is not healthy, skepticism is. NRCS is data, and it is not based on what someone "thinks" is normal - it is the median of readings from the same locations for a given date from 1991 to 2020.

Edit to add calculation method:
Second edit: to correct date range for median calculation

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 6.53.31 PM.png

Last edited:

longputt

Steelhead
Cynicism is not healthy, skepticism is. NRCS is data, and it is not based on what someone "thinks" is normal - it is the median of readings from the same locations for a given date from 1991 to today's date.
Sorry we disagree, NRCS is not data it is a percentage of something. Your Prineville plot is data...not an interpretation. I really like the plot you provided.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Sorry we disagree, NRCS is not data it is a percentage of something. Your Prineville plot is data...not an interpretation. I really like the plot you provided.

Yes, the Prineville Reservoir is data, a figure shows the current level compared to last year and the 20 year average, which is virtually the same as the NRCS, the only difference is the NRCS is showing current against the 30 year median (rather than mean), a different representation, showing the individual sites - I would encourage you to go to the interactive map - see the data for yourself - it is not an interpretation.

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 7.05.28 PM.png

Cheers

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I thin Longputt is confusing a forecast with current conditions. At least I hope its that simple.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
The entire east side of the state is in desperate need of an acquifier recharge, which would take multiple years of average snowfall. To put things into perspective, Mt. Bachelor, an excellent snow measurement for the east Cascades, averages 462" a year...as of this morning, after a week of late season snow on the mountain adding over 3', total for the season is now 385". Gratefull for every inch of it, we still need more...a whole lot more. There have been ongoing meetings between farmers and water districts throughout the east side in which farmers are bing told to expect 20% to 40% of their typical allotments.

There is no silver bullet coming, we are just at the start of whatever the new normal is going to be, and all we can do is understand it, and live with it. Our course is as fixed right now as if entering the top of White Horse on the Big D...we can moderate the line to some degree, but other than that, off the hell we go...

SSPey

loco alto!
The entire east side of the state is in desperate need of an acquifier recharge, which would take multiple years of average snowfall.

Many areas need more than sustained average precip to recharge aquifers. With a long trajectory of groundwater depletion, they need above average precip combined with less use. I wouldn’t take that bet.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
The point data in our area now shows about 100% for each station, however the symbolized shapefile map seems to show 10-15% less. The push of weather last week helped.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
"April Showers bring....." Well, snow anyways, this helps, lookin' much better.
1650548754791.png