Oregon Angling License

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Just be careful with the app. My phone (iPhone SE) deletes apps that haven’t been used in awhile to conserve space (not fully, but puts it in the cloud and you need service to re download to use). I have to re member to re download when I go fishing. Kinda defeats the purpose. I’m sure I can turn off the conserve space feature but I keep forgetting to.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
I printed mine. I figured it would just be my luck if something happened to my phone, like the battery goes dead, and I couldn't access the site to show my license if asked. So I go old school and keep a printed copy in my wallet.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just be careful with the app. My phone (iPhone SE) deletes apps that haven’t been used in awhile to conserve space (not fully, but puts it in the cloud and you need service to re download to use). I have to re member to re download when I go fishing. Kinda defeats the purpose. I’m sure I can turn off the conserve space feature but I keep forgetting to.
How often does it delete? I always pull mine up before I go fishing to make sure I'm logged in.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I hope Washington goes to this at some point along with electronic catch cards.....just as long as whoever develops it isn't the same people who created the WDFW app. The app sucks.
I'd have to think getting real time catch data would help WDFW with in season management. Probably wishful thinking though on my part.
SF

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
. I figured it would just be my luck if something happened to my phone, like the battery goes dead, and I couldn't access the site to show my license if asked. So I go old school and keep a printed copy in my wallet.
Phones don’t like water to well either….

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I hope Washington goes to this at some point along with electronic catch cards.....just as long as whoever develops it isn't the same people who created the WDFW app. The app sucks.
I'd have to think getting real time catch data would help WDFW with in season management. Probably wishful thinking though on my part.
SF
I’d love that, or at least for them to stop using receipt paper. The stupid stuff will go unreadable and unusable on you. I lost two record cards that way this summer; one fading to illegibility, one darkening to illegibility. Lastly, my license had to be replaced because it rubbed off.

Am I wrong to think a license should be able to last a whole year?

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Be careful if you are in an area with no cell service as many of our coastal rivers have dead spots around boat ramps and tidewater. I have loved my electronic license until this year when I couldn't record my chinook catch until I had loaded the boat on the trailer, and driven to town. I was told by an OSP wildlife officer that I could technically be cited for it though my retired OSP buddy says that's unlikely. I may go back to paper next year if that's the case...

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Be careful if you are in an area with no cell service as many of our coastal rivers have dead spots around boat ramps and tidewater. I have loved my electronic license until this year when I couldn't record my chinook catch until I had loaded the boat on the trailer, and driven to town. I was told by an OSP wildlife offier that I could technically be cited for it though my retired OSP buddy says that's unlikely. I may go back to paper next year if that's the case...

Bob,
Can you do both, electronic and paper?
SF

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Be careful if you are in an area with no cell service as many of our coastal rivers have dead spots around boat ramps and tidewater. I have loved my electronic license until this year when I couldn't record my chinook catch until I had loaded the boat on the trailer, and driven to town. I was told by an OSP wildlife offier that I could technically be cited for it though my retired OSP buddy says that's unlikely. I may go back to paper next year if that's the case...
Just be sure to load it up before you leave service and it works fine. Do I ever remember to do that? Absolutely not. But they're aware of that limitation so would be very unlikely to nail you for it if you're otherwise following the rules.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Weird that the app doesn’t allow that functionality when you’re offline.