Official 2024 NFL Season Discussion

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Chiefs trade up a few slots, get a burner.....

Go Three-PEET

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I wouldn't hate an all trenches draft but we do need a tight end at some point...

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Chiefs trade up a few slots, get a burner.....

Go Three-PEET
But can he catch the ball?...I remember my favorite Raider joke..."If Jamarcus Russell and Darius Heyward-Bey were a trapeze act, they would all be dead"...Al wanted speed, and drafted HB since he ran a 4.3 40...but wasn't very good at catching the ball.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
A 20 year study of the success rate of draft picks from 1996-2016:
  • 17% never made the team.
  • 52% had very limited playing time as primarily back-ups.
  • 11% were mediocre players with starts over 2-3 years.
  • 12% were good, solid multi-year starters.
  • 7% were excellent players that went onto multiple contracts.
  • 1% were considered elite during relatively long careers.
As to what picks stuck with the teams that drafted them or moved to another:
1714166754104.png

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I kinda' ignore the draft. Based on the results Surfnfish posted above, I think the main purpose of the draft is to provide some kind of fair way to bring young new players into the NFL. Once they're in the league and start practicing and playing, things sorta' shake out through trades and free agency and cuts.

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
A 20 year study of the success rate of draft picks from 1996-2016:
  • 17% never made the team.
  • 52% had very limited playing time as primarily back-ups.
  • 11% were mediocre players with starts over 2-3 years.
  • 12% were good, solid multi-year starters.
  • 7% were excellent players that went onto multiple contracts.
  • 1% were considered elite during relatively long careers.
As to what picks stuck with the teams that drafted them or moved to another:
View attachment 112096
I never get excited about the draft either because we don’t hear much about many of these players later in the season. Thank you for this chart.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Some interesting facts regarding the draft.
With the kicker being selected, Nick Saban has had an Alabama player at every position played be drafted.

This was interesting regarding conference alliance via the schools with the most selections.
IMG_7377.jpeg
These power four schools had no players selected.
IMG_7378.jpeg
SF

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Atlanta going to sit Penix at 24 for the 2 years it takes Cousins dead cap number to come down ?

Cousins' cap hits will be $25 million in 2024 and $40 million in 2025 with $25 million in dead money if they release him in 2026.

Best to dump him now, next year is bad. 2026 Penix will be 26, so getting sort of old for rookie type playing time.
Short career, and no third contract available for him...

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Atlanta going to sit Penix at 24 for the 2 years it takes Cousins dead cap number to come down ?

Cousins' cap hits will be $25 million in 2024 and $40 million in 2025 with $25 million in dead money if they release him in 2026.

Best to dump him now, next year is bad. 2026 Penix will be 26, so getting sort of old for rookie type playing time.
An old qb coming off an Achilles tear…he might see the field sooner than you think…

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Falcons signing Cousins never seemed right, but Cousins gets signed to big contracts, he is best at doing that.
:)

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

NFL math- pretty much right on