October destination?

stillreleasing

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Looks like I will have the opportunity to get out of town for a week in late-October. I have enough Alaska Air miles to go pretty much anywhere and am trying to figure out the best place to wet a line for that time of year.
I have the gear to fish almost any conditions, so no real limitations there.
Thanks!

Shad

Life of the Party
Florida Keys? Crowds are gone after September, and the fishing gets better because of it (so I'm told).

Closer to home, any of the famed (and not famed) trout destinations should be fishing well in October...

Looks like I will have the opportunity to get out of town for a week in late-October. I have enough Alaska Air miles to go pretty much anywhere and am trying to figure out the best place to wet a line for that time of year.
Thanks!
Maybe look at Squamish BC area for trout/salmon, then hop over to Vancouver Island for SRC.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I always had a good time in Baja in late October or early November.
The weather is cooler and the fishing can be good. I think I caught 13 species of fish on one trip at that time of year. The smaller peanut yellowfin were fun as hell.
SF

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Thanks!
What kind of fishing do you want to do? What species? Distance willing to travel?

stillreleasing

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Thanks for alil the responses. I am open to almost any type of fish/location with a couple of caveats; 1. No Spey casting. 2. Alaska Air, if flying. 3. If driving, has to be within 5 hours (my car had some issues this summer whenever the day of driving hit 6+ hours).

Budget is “reasonable” I am sure I can stretch it for a bucket list type of trip. And a transoceanic flight is out of the question, this will be a solo trip and the old lady would not forgive me for a long time. If it is somewhere I have never fished, I plan on using a guide for a day or 2, if I can find one.
Weather is not the primary factor, but with all thing being equal, warm does sound good.

Been doing a lot of browsing and prior to seeing all of these responses, I was focusing on Cancun or Belize for warm water and weather related backup flying out to MT/ID and renting a car.

Kado

Steelhead
Not sure if right time of year, but the East Cape (?) of baja, beach fishing for rooster fish looks awesome. That way maybe don't need a guide every day.

Scslat

Anadromous Angler
Forum Supporter
I'd suggest the Pitt River near Vancouver BC. A buddy and I fished with the guys at Pitt River Lodge earlier in the year and they were great. Stay at the river cabin instead of the lodge, and it's even cheaper, particularly when you consider the exchange rate for the Canadian dollar. If you stay at the cabin, It's "rustic", as they say, but fine. You need to bring your own food at the cabin, but I'd rather save my money and do more fishing. Should be tons of coho around, and lots of trout there to eat eggs.