North Cascades High Lakes

Curious if anyone was out this weekend? I planned a 3 night trip to multiple lakes and the photo is the first one. This is from 2 weekends ago. I have been hiking here a long time and this is the first time water has been frozen solid at this elevation in mid July. Want to go back out and assume the warm weather the last 2 weeks had a good effect. Those fish are going to be hungry!

Attachments

• 20220721_114705[1].jpg
    20220721_114705[1].jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 62

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
No snow at 5,000 feet at Stevens pass this weekend. No snow at 4,500 feet in the Mt Baker forest last weekend. If my reading is right, PNW member phil k was at 5,300 feet and the lake he was visiting was partially frozen. Look at his post.

Dekartes

Kill Pebble Permanently
Thanks Phil. That view is where I was headed. Love it! I have come down that shoot before. It's steep! Great views.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Naaah. It could be sketchy if hard snow, but it’s generally pretty good footing otherwise.

Thanks Phil. That view is where I was headed. Love it! I have come down that shoot before. It's steep! Great views.
I believe I’ve hiked that route several times. There are other less aggressive routes to that lake but they do take more time. The route is quick going down, kind of a controlled fall.

ianpadron

Steelhead
Tough year to be an alpine trout.

I've run into a few high lakes here in MT that winter-killed.

I talked to a bio about it and he said it's no bueno when a lake with lots of big trout keeps its lid on for too long, and doesn't have a feeder creek, as the fish use up the available Oxygen and croak. Shallower and more fertile lakes tend to get hit the hardest, as there is less total O2 and more biomass using it.

Seems like you guys in the Cascades held onto your snow even longer than us this year too