North Bend Douchebag Poacher Busted

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
When I was a kid there was a lot of poaching in our area. Every dad I knew, poacher or no, spanked their kids for discipline. As I grew older I saw that most of the children of poachers kept the family hunting tradition alive.

Alcohol abuse among teens and adults was rampant, high school graduation rate was about 60%, drug use was a big problem for adults and teens, and petty crime was a pastime for many.

Anecdotal, but I'm not convinced spanking improved society.
If you want really well behaved kids you gotta beat em severely.

Shad

Life of the Party
Couldn't agree more that the best (and unfortunately also the worst) parenting is always by example.

On a somewhat related note, I deeply lament the fact that so many parents have failed their children and the rest of us by passing down the idea that you have to drag your gear through fish to hook them. It's this mentality that leads fledgling anglers to slowly devolve into snaggers, poachers, and the like. Reminds me of a song I almost heard one time...

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be snaggers...
No trebles with barbs, adorned in black yarn;
Make 'em use baits, flies, and lures and such...

And while we're a singin',
No matter what you're slingin',
Remember this rule as a must:
If you want a shot at fightin'
With fish that are-a-bitin'
Keep them leaders under 2 feet, y'ole cuss!

Sorry for the thread "drift," but I genuinely think outlawing drift setups with leaders longer than 24" would do a lot to discourage snagging (and its even uglier cousin, poaching). It would also keep the fish biting a lot better for everyone else in crowded fisheries....

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Couldn't agree more that the best (and unfortunately also the worst) parenting is always by example.

On a somewhat related note, I deeply lament the fact that so many parents have failed their children and the rest of us by passing down the idea that you have to drag your gear through fish to hook them. It's this mentality that leads fledgling anglers to slowly devolve into snaggers, poachers, and the like. Reminds me of a song I almost heard one time...

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be snaggers...
No trebles with barbs, adorned in black yarn;
Make 'em use baits, flies, and lures and such...

And while we're a singin',
No matter what you're slingin',
Remember this rule as a must:
If you want a shot at fightin'
With fish that are-a-bitin'
Keep them leaders under 2 feet, y'ole cuss!

Sorry for the thread "drift," but I genuinely think outlawing drift setups with leaders longer than 24" would do a lot to discourage snagging (and its even uglier cousin, poaching). It would also keep the fish biting a lot better for everyone else in crowded fisheries....

It starts with a culture that the wdfw seems all to keen to promote. Now hear me out before you crucify me. They are all about put and take trout lakes where youngsters learn to gut hook fish and keep them by the stringer to be freezer burned till next year. Then you got the weekend openers to promote that circus feel future snaggers of Washington love. Finally you have the utter lack of enforcement of snagging which promotes this lawlessness. It's only a hop skip and small jump to a poachers paradise. Imagine if we promoted angling as an art and sport early on with more quality lakes. Consistent enforcement could send a message to the "flossers" that insist they are legal snagging. So while I don't think the wdfw set out to create a poaching culture they sure haven't discouraged it and in fact made conditions conducive for it's prolific existence.