NOF policy

SeaRunner

Steelhead
Thank you for the reminder. I am concerned about the removed language in the "general" section. I like the language on reporting and making post-season reports easily available. I would like to see those reports covered at the initial NOF meeting. I think that would be more valuable than the various presentations they have done over the years at that initial meeting.

Smalma

Life of the Party
SeaRunner-
The post season mark selective fishing reports (by MA) is currently available on the WDFW website. they can be found in their Publications, in the category section under selective fishing. The individual discussion for each MA is interesting providing on the number anglers checked, fish checked etc. as well as the various estimates of catch and effort. Also, the appendices which listed a summary by each MA of the code wire tags recovered as part of sampling. Those reports go back to about 2007, I think.

Curt

SeaRunner

Steelhead
SeaRunner-
The post season mark selective fishing reports (by MA) is currently available on the WDFW website. they can be found in their Publications, in the category section under selective fishing. The individual discussion for each MA is interesting providing on the number anglers checked, fish checked etc. as well as the various estimates of catch and effort. Also, the appendices which listed a summary by each MA of the code wire tags recovered as part of sampling. Those reports go back to about 2007, I think.

Curt
Thank you yes I am aware and have reviewed those in the past. My comment was only to suggest that I think it would be helpful for WDFW to specifically cover those reports at the NOF meetings as it would get those reports broader exposure. I enjoy comparing the "benchmarks" to the "actuals" year over year by reviewing the post-season reports and past LOAFs.

SeaRunner

Steelhead
Comments have been posted to the wdfw commission meeting website and are available to view there. Thank you to all who commented.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
This popped up In my newsfeed.

Don't know whether this is a good thing or a bad thing

Our own Seattle based Trawl fleet has had over 90k Chinook tossed over as bycatch in the past. Every year they also toss over more Halibut than all comercial and sport castch quotas.

All in the name for McFish sandwiches.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Our own Seattle based Trawl fleet has had over 90k Chinook tossed over as bycatch in the past. Every year they also toss over more Halibut than all comercial and sport castch quotas.

All in the name for McFish sandwiches.

We need to shut down all the sports fisheries ASAP to protect these fish!

G_Smolt

Legend
Every year they also toss over more Halibut than all comercial and sport castch quotas.
No, they don't.

2023 IPHC quota was 29,840,000 lb, mortality limit was 36,970,000 lb, and total trawl bycatch was in the neighborhood of 4,000,000 lbs.

Is that 3,999,999 lbs too many?

You bet your ass it is. But there's no need to make up numbers or figures. It just damages credibility.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
No, they don't.

2023 IPHC quota was 29,840,000 lb, mortality limit was 36,970,000 lb, and total trawl bycatch was in the neighborhood of 4,000,000 lbs.

Is that 3,999,999 lbs too many?

You bet your ass it is. But there's no need to make up numbers or figures. It just damages credibility.

I have read a couple of times, but thanks for clarification.