Nitty Whine for the Day - Fish Pics

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I love reading guys posts about recent fishing trips and especially enjoy well taken fish pictures. But guys there are two things, to me anyway, that make solid fish pictures.

1. Closeups that show off some amazing colors.

and/or

2. Something in the picture that gives a reference to give the viewer a rough idea on the size of the fish being caught.

Just looking at a bunch of posts today and so many are taken with the fish in the net (great nothing wrong with that) but so close and with no context that its impossible to tell if I am looking at a 12 inch fish or a 22 inch fish. Maybe its just me but I like to have something in the picture that alludes to the size of the fish I am taking a picture of. Bottom line is that unless its some really beautiful fish (ok all trout are beautiful but you get my point) then I could care less looking at pics of run of the mill 12 inch fish. I'd rather just see your shots showing off the scenery or weather for the day. Or shots of your buddy fighting a fish.

Of rant over...LOL

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I’d rather people not post pics of fish at all if doing so requires taking extra time to perfectly compose them. Tell me the size of you want, throw in a quickly snapped pic or two to add context to your trip report and be done with it.

If you are eating the fish, kill it and pose the damn thing however the hell you want. Build it a diorama and dress it in a tutu if it makes you happy.

If you are releasing it, snap a pic as fast as you can and send it on its way, regardless of species.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have pretty much stopped taking the camera with me when fishing, and yes sometimes I wish I had the camera, cause just sometimes the prefect pic is there.
Like just the other day I was fishing my favorite small blue line when I caught a 14" coastal cutt. Pretty fish.
Or last fall at Diamond lake when a pack of tiger trout were hunting some chubs in close to shore.
There they were right at my feet in gin clear water. And no I couldn't get any of them to take a fly, any fly.
In my minds eye those pics are always there.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If I can get in position to get a buddies fish pic, I will try that. The last time I took a pic of a fish I caught, I believe it was on film. Even then I was not likely to show anyone else the photo. I really don't know what I did it for. I like to release a fish without even touching it if I can, I'm not coordinated enough to get a good photo with these self imposed restrictions.

Flymph

Steelhead
I am personally very concerned about fish injury because I do a poor job of taking pictures. The few pictures I have taken have been fish in the net, in the water! Added rant, with all due respect, why do some hot spot without question while others get the riot act treatment?