NFR float from Marblemount to Howard Miller on Skagit for the Eagles- safe in sit-inside kayak?

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
I want to do the Eagle float on the Skagit, but not pay an arm and a leg for it. I've done it before from a raft, and it looked easy, but rivers can change and i wasn't on the sticks and this was years ago. From the times I have been up on the Skagit this looks doable in a canoe, or in my sit inside single (native watercraft 12- more of a single canoe than a kayak) or Tandem kayak (LLbean double manatee). But for you guys who have floated/know this stretch, would this be ill-advised? I am very competent at paddling, risk averse and don't see any obvious traps or rapids that should give me pause. In the double I often take my son, who can't paddle, in general navigating a strong tidal current on this tandem is easy, with an even weight distribution it rides like a champ, but a river might be a mite different....

Is this a bad idea?

Wadin' Boot

Forum Supporter
yes, sorry, got my Howards confused- Marblemount to Howard Miller ! fixed/edited the title

Smalma

Life of the Party
While I'm sure that section can be float successful the only time I saw canoes on that section of river this time year was a group of 5 canoes. As we round a bend in the river saw a canoe floating downstream with two adults hanging on to the gunnel. We managed to pull both into our boat though both were hyperthermic and unable to follow our instructions. They were more than a 1/2 mile from being able to exit the water and were not going to make. Two other of the canoes also capsized one shallow enough to wade to shore staying dry above their waist. The two in the other canoe swam a short distance (20 or 30 feet) to shore The last two canoes made it to shore before the riffle that claimed the first 3 canoes but were stranded above said riffle. The party took the wrong channel.

We had room for 3 riders so my buddy to the 3 in worst shape down to our truck where we had extra coats, left them in their turn around rig to warm up. He returned for the next three while I had tied the 3 canoes in a string. Before he got back, I had help the others get their canoes safely over the riffle (with my waders and some rope I was able to walk the canoes over the riffle). Once my buddy returned, we followed the last two canoes downstream in case of any trouble towing the string of canoes. By time we got to the takeout the two of the others had warmed enough to get their other rig and were waiting for us. Fortunately, even without life jackets the whole adventure did not end in tragedy though I'm sure their next eagle watching trip would not be in their canoes.

While no real white water in that section things can happen faster than you would think. Don't know if your kayak would be more stable than those canoes be extremely careful if you go.

Curt

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Skagit is a big river. I'm sure it CAN be done, but I'm not sure I'd want to be the person doing it.

That said, I'm no river kayak/canoe expert (hence my hesitance). Perhaps others that are will chime in with more advice.

Reactions: VMP

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I am very competent at paddling, risk averse and don't see any obvious traps or rapids that should give me pause. In the double I often take my son, who can't paddle, in general navigating a strong tidal current on this tandem is easy, with an even weight distribution it rides like a champ, but a river might be a mite different....

Is this a bad idea?

@Wadin' Boot have you kayaked rivers much at all? Descending a riffle or rapid is pretty different than negotiating a tidal push. (Riffles like to push canoes and kayaks sideways if you don't line up just right, then you hit bottom, then you capsize) We like you and want to keep you around, so if you have some river experience and are comfortable in rivers, I think you'd be fine, but if you don't have much river experience, I don't recommend starting on the Skagit in January.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I began using my canoe on the Skagit in 1976. Haven't used it there since the 90s because I have other watercraft. Marblemount to Howard Miller (Rockport) is a flat float. However, because it is flat, all reaches of the Skagit are deceptive in that the water is moving faster than people unfamiliar with it perceive. That has often led to trouble. Because it's flat, people who aren't as skilled as they think they are sometimes get into trouble as well. Your Native 12 should be a slam dunk on the Skagit, but I don't know if you are. I once took a woman and her 6-year old kid down that stretch for eagle watching, and they'd never been in a canoe previously. Maybe that helps you gage the risk. If you're comfortable with back-paddling instead of always forward paddling, pull and push strokes, you have the skills to navigate it just fine.

I wanted to take more people than my boat can hold one year, so I hired the eagle guide who has a humongous drift boat, and it wasn't that expensive. So the outfitter approach is a fairly viable option.

Wadin' Boot

Forum Supporter
Salmo, how would it compare to a float of Yak- Bighorn to Roza, August flows? I've done that a few times in both boats and both were easy paddles, these yaks you generally are sitting down in the vessel, so center of gravity is far lower than a canoe, I have no problem with back paddling pull/push etc, line reads, (surfed for years) and in General when I am birding I am sticking with the slow water anyways....Appreciate all the pro/con stuff

Reactions: Zak

flybill

Life of the Party
If you're unsure, I would book with one of the outfitters! I had a very close call on the Yakima, and the Yakima in the spring / summer is very different than the Skagit in winter. Water is cold in the summer, but you can get out and warm up easier in the summer, than now. As far as obstacles, I would contact the outfitters who do eagle floats and check with them, unless someone here has up to date info. With recent high water, flooding, things can easily change.

So the short answer is, if you feel you're confident on the sticks and with your boat, then maybe. If you're not so sure, just do a guided trip and once you've floated the stretch in a raft then you'll know if you want to try it on your own.

You can't be too safe, especially this time of year, with cold water and cold temps in general! My 2 cents!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Salmo, how would it compare to a float of Yak- Bighorn to Roza, August flows? I've done that a few times in both boats and both were easy paddles, these yaks you generally are sitting down in the vessel, so center of gravity is far lower than a canoe, I have no problem with back paddling pull/push etc, line reads, (surfed for years) and in General when I am birding I am sticking with the slow water anyways....Appreciate all the pro/con stuff
You didn’t ask me, but I’ve floated both, and canoed rivers, albeit not those. The Skagit this January in lower flows will differ from the Yak in August (high flows) in that there will be a lot more skinny water on the Skagit that will look easy and flat but it’s moving pretty quick and if you get too shallow and can’t get paddle purchase you might be toast. So make sure you line up the V’s going into the riffles!

VMP

Steelhead
A friend and I did the same float (Marblemount to Rockport) in January about 20 years ago paddling sit-in sea kayaks, mine a recently finished homemade Chesapeake 16, his a similarly sized Nimbus Seafarer, both fast/agile boats. Although I was an experienced sea kayaker at the time, and had rafted on other rivers, it was my first time on a fast-moving river on a sea kayak and had never done that section of the Skagit. My friend had floated it before, but he had not been the one on the sticks and done under average river flows. To make things interesting, it had rained part of the day before and overnight and the river was rising but still doable (as far as my friend said at the put in). It was doable, but it was also a bit nerve-wracking for a river neophyte. There were some very sizeable logjams at places and some ambiguity on the best route around some of the islands/hazards. The river had gone up from about 3,000cfs to around 10,000cfs overnight and was still rising by the time we took out. We saw hundreds of eagles, which was spectacular, we also spent quite a bit of effort/time navigating eddies, hazards and paying attention at all times to dangers and route finding. The fast float took us around 1:45hrs, we were going about 6-7 knots, mainly drifting, back-paddling, using eddies to rest or reassess the route. In short, doable but very different experience than on a sea kayak navigating even strong tidal flows, rivers are a different animal and conditions can change from one outing to the next, in the same season (think of the big storms/floods last December) and even overnight. Good advice on comments so far, I think @Matt B and @flybill comments are spot on. I would scout first, talk with people that run that section often/recently, go with someone that has done that section before on river levels similar to what you expect/are likely to find (or at the very least don't float it alone) and off course carry all safety gear, particularly this time of year. If unsure, I would not do it, the river and the eagles will still be there when you are ready. Also some blogs and trip reports with perhaps outdated but still useful info below.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Boot,

I haven't done that Yakima float in a long, long time, but I would say that generally the Yakima is more technical than floating the Skagit. If you wear waders and a PFD you should be fine. That reach is easily canoeable at flows below 8 kcfs. It's currently 3.7 kcfs. Pick your line well in advance - because that deceptive speed thing. If you find yourself in a too shallow riffle going where you don't like, step out and stand up, same as in any river.

The first test is right out of the gate downstream of the Marblemount launch at the corner turning right. Big Eddy is on the left and a small eddy or slackwater is on the right at the mouth of Marblemount Slough. If you're satisfied that you picked your line correctly around that corner, you can pick your line all the way to Rockport. If, for some reason, that exercise left you scared shitless, then make your way to the bank in the slackwater of Marblemount Slough and line your boat up the bar until you are nearly across from the launch. Ferry across and line your boat to the launch and pack up, as you're probably not ready for this float.

Seriously, this is about as easy as river floating gets - except it's winter and cold. In addition to my canoe, I've floated this reach and all the way down to Lyman in my old Achilles LT-2. Look that up. It's a 7' rubber ducky that I've floated the Sauk and Skagit in more times than I can count. As always, be safe.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
If I still had my raft, I'd take Boot down the river.
Maybe someone with a raft or DB can take Boot on a float. Hell, not only will you see eagles, maybe catch a fish but your chances of finding a rare Skagit river coconut will increase immensely.
SF

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
If I still had my raft, I'd take Boot down the river.
Maybe someone with a raft or DB can take Boot on a float. Hell, not only will you see eagles, maybe catch a fish but your chances of finding a rare Skagit river coconut will increase immensely.
SF
Or someone familiar with the river float with him while he tests out the river on his kayak. If there were any issues he'd have a seat and a raft to tether the kayak to.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I can tell you from personal experience that floating even an easy stretch of mild rapids in a hardhulled craft such as a kayak or canoe is much much more challenging than doing so in an inflatable.

Last edited: