NFL 2022 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
... ending in a Bengals victory.

Go Chiefs
imagine what Mahomes would do with the Niners offense.

As it is, have little respect for the league under Goodell and the current billionaires club of self-indulgent owners with little regard for real self-governance...glaring example Snyder falsifying ticket sales, skimming the top off of luxury box sales, burying sexual harassment cases, threatening to 'expose' Goodell and other owners if they try and force him out...and as soon as he made the threat, Irsay, that gem of a recovering drug addict who inherited Daddy's team, changed his tune from 'I have serious concerns" to "let's wait for the facts".

Conversely, when the Pheonix Sun's owner Sarver was accused of workplace harassment and racial slurs, withn 30 days of the charge being made public the other owners and league commish had forced him to put the team up for sale.

GOTY

Steelhead
I try to not be the guy who complains about refs and stuff, and I truly believe the Seahawks have zero chance at winning the super bowl (we aren't good enough), BUT I think it's absolutely terrible what the NFL just did.

The NFL flexed the GB DET game next weekend to Sunday night. This is after the Seahawks play. Mind you for DET to make the playoffs, they need to win and have the Hawks lose (or tie). So, if the hawks win earlier in the day, DET's season is over. Done. Finished. They have nothing to play for. Players on DET should just take it easy and try to not get hurt. But Seattle needs to win AND DET to beat (or tie) GB in order to make the playoffs, while GB only needs to win and they are in. Historically the league would have both of these games kick off at the same time so everyone plays to win. Fair competition.

Flexing the DET GB game is clearly puting ratings ahead of fair competition. Just awful. It gives GB a massive advantage over Seattle, simply because having GB in the playoffs will bring in more TV ratings/$$ than having Seattle in the playoffs would.

The entire reason the NFL doesn't schedule game times for the last week in the year ahead of time is to avoid the exact scenario they just intentionally created.

Garbage.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I try to not be the guy who complains about refs and stuff, and I truly believe the Seahawks have zero chance at winning the super bowl (we aren't good enough), BUT I think it's absolutely terrible what the NFL just did.

The NFL flexed the GB DET game next weekend to Sunday night. This is after the Seahawks play. Mind you for DET to make the playoffs, they need to win and have the Hawks lose (or tie). So, if the hawks win earlier in the day, DET's season is over. Done. Finished. They have nothing to play for. Players on DET should just take it easy and try to not get hurt. But Seattle needs to win AND DET to beat (or tie) GB in order to make the playoffs, while GB only needs to win and they are in. Historically the league would have both of these games kick off at the same time so everyone plays to win. Fair competition.

Flexing the DET GB game is clearly puting ratings ahead of fair competition. Just awful. It gives GB a massive advantage over Seattle, simply because having GB in the playoffs will bring in more TV ratings/$$ than having Seattle in the playoffs would.

The entire reason the NFL doesn't schedule game times for the last week in the year ahead of time is to avoid the exact scenario they just intentionally created.

Garbage.
I have a bit of a tinfoil hat type attitude when it comes to things like that and how certain games are reffed. I honestly believe the NFL puts its thumbs on the scales for certain teams that bring in more money.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter

Garbage.
I think there is nothing the Lions would like better than eliminate the Pack from the playoffs...they still have something to play for, after being the punching bag of the NFC North for decades...usually at the hands of the Packers.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have a bit of a tinfoil hat type attitude when it comes to things like that and how certain games are reffed. I honestly believe the NFL puts its thumbs on the scales for certain teams that bring in more money.
If you’re right that’s a disappointing reality

GOTY

Steelhead
I think there is nothing the Lions would like better than eliminate the Pack from the playoffs...they still have something to play for, after being the punching bag of the NFC North for decades...usually at the hands of the Packers.
I agree the fan base, the city of Detroit, and probably the coaches do as well.

But if you're a player on the lions with millions of dollars at risk for an injury in the last game of the year, how much do you actually care about beating a "rival"? Probably not much at all. You ever see how friendly NFL players are with the other team post game? Always smiles, hugs, and high fives for the vast majority.

Last edited:

GOTY

Steelhead
This theory will be on full display for the hawks game. If the NFL wants drama/ratings for Sunday night, then the Rams will get some friendly calls to help beat the hawks, making GB DET a winner take all game.

This whole situation absolutely sucks for the Seahawks.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I agree the fan base, the city of Detroit, and probably the coaches do as well.

But if you're a player on the lions with millions of dollars at risk for an injury in the last game of the year, how much do you actually care about beating a "rival"? Probably not much at all. You ever see how friendly NFL players are with the other team post game? Always smiles, hugs, and high fives for the vast majority.
Ask any former player and they will tell you a sure fire way to get hurt is to not play 100% when the other team is.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
You ever see how friendly NFL players are with the other team post game? Always smiles, hugs, and high fives for the vast majority.
Lol

Many of them know each other. From the time they are young, they go to the same football camps, play against each other in the NCAA, share agents, belong to the same union...actual human beings who talk to each other because they are in the same business, and have been around the game since they were like 8 years old pursuing the same goals.

Shocking I know...

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Jared Goff is not a great cold/bad weather qb. It will be a lot colder in the evening in GB too. But that does suck. I looked at the schedule and figured it would be an early am game. But they are trying to highlight meaningful games, especially if it’s meaningful to certain teams. Good catch !

GOTY

Steelhead
Lol

Many of them know each other. From the time they are young, they go to the same football camps, play against each other in the NCAA, share agents, belong to the same union...actual human beings who talk to each other because they are in the same business, and have been around the game since they were like 8 years old pursuing the same goals.

Shocking I know...
Exactly my point. Us fans and media love to play up these storylines and narratives that the players somehow are bitter rivals and hate each other because a different billionaire signs their paycheck, but the reality is they are mainly all buds who know each other decently well and bond over making millions playing a game.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Ironic to see Goff and the LA RAMS on Pete's 6 O'clock again. The NFL clearly planned this scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.