New rods

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm growing a few new rods today. At this point the exact amount is TBD but it could be as many as twenty or more. From this point on depending on the weather they will add 6"-12" each day, so today's 7' 6" rod will be tomorrow's 8'- 8' 6" rod.

Now if I could just do some genetic modification to make them grow to a predetermined taper I could eliminate a lot of plane work.
IMG_20220522_133749062_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
That’s some cool looking bamboo Tim.....does the green color stay on mature plants? Two tone Hotrodz!

Yes the green is permanent. I found it at Bamboo Garden Nursery, North Plains, OR. It doesn't have a common name that I am aware of but if you are interested go to their website and search for Phyllostachys vivax, "Huangwenzhu Inversa".

The garden is a fantastic place to visit. 21 acres, 300 types of bamboo.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Really that's in North Plains??? I'm not far from there I'll have to check it out. A few days ago I was driving through a local neighborhood and a guy was out chopping down and pruning a huge bamboo hedge. Some of them were 2.5-3" in dia. I thought about stopping and asking for some but I only had my little hatchback.

Kado

Steelhead
That is the coolest, Tim.
A neighbor had some fairly large bamboo growing around their mailbox. We walk past it each day and I was surprised how big the shoots were when sprouting. One week later, a couple of the stalks under the mailbox lifted it clean off its post. Spectacular growth rate.