New Orleans Redfish in February

Denwor54

Life of the Party
If your talking or needing food recommendations I would Jacques-IMO’s restaurant it was one of the best meals I have ever had and a must. I’m not sure how to add a link to this restaurant.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've fished Redfish in NOLA twice (early December and early April). Early December had big redfish, but was very cold. April was warm and good sun, but redfish were smaller with big black drum and alligator gar around too. Your guide will pick you up at your hotel in downtown NOLA. Then you drive south to a cafe in Hopedale and hang-out waiting for sun to hit the water. February will be spotty with weather and enough sunlight to spot fish in the delta marshes. The big redfish bulls are caught August to December. It is worth a day trip, but watch the weather. Reds pull hard and are fun in close sight casting; however, they are not the most thrilling gamefish.

View attachment 83716View attachment 83717

The Gulf of Mexico is awesome, as is the Mississippi delta. Everyone should fly fish it if they have the opportunity. New Orleans is one of the great American cities, very unique. The food can be seriously good.
I’ve fished in Dec & Jan years ago…gear fishing…and the food is seriously good…

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
NBC

I think you owe this thread a response. Either just say you were joking (although not including an emoji is pretty silly if you were) or if you are serious then you should share your reason. Not cool to denigrate one of if not the most well known guide down there without some explanation. Otherwise just share things like that with the OP via a PM.

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
NBC

I think you owe this thread a response. Either just say you were joking (although not including an emoji is pretty silly if you were) or if you are serious then you should share your reason. Not cool to denigrate one of if not the most well known guide down there without some explanation. Otherwise just share things like that with the OP via a PM.
Agree. No place on a public forum for ambiguous shit talk. Did Captain Moon yell at you because you blew a 40' cast, @NBC ? Tell us why we shouldn't hire one of the best fly fishing guides in the Mississippi delta, please.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Whatever you do, don't hire Greg Moon.
I'll give you a chance to elaborate, but without some kind of justification, I'm going to remove this post.

NBC

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
I'd be happy to elaborate. I've fished with him twice over the past three years. First time, we hired him for a full day and not only did he put the minimal amount of effort into guiding us into fish, he cut our day short because the weather forecast called for rain. Instead of actually checking the weather as the day progressed, he started the day off telling us the worst storm was coming through and we probably wouldn't catch any fish.

The second time, a different group of anglers I was included in, hired him for a three day stretch. He did not remotely try to put any of the anglers on fish. His new boat doesn't have a poling platform so he stood on the bow and ran the trolling motor all day and showed little interest in anything remotely related to catching fish. During lunch, he proceeded to talk about subjects that I will not go into detail on this forum as it would likely get me permanently banned. 100% not appropriate for any one, let alone a guide that is receiving good money to put us on fish, to discuss. I understand "locker room talk", but this was completely inappropriate. He also called the second day short as a one hour storm rolled through. Instead of waiting for it to pass, as it was forecasted to do, he pulled his boat out and sped home.

Apologies for not going into more details on my previous post. I'd love to hear if anyone has had good experiences with him.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks for responding.

Just to clarify a bit on that post. His boat does not have a poling platform because its a bay boat not a skiff. He has switched to a bay boat to be able to run to areas where the fish are on days when its not doable in a skiff.

NBC

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Thanks for responding.

Just to clarify a bit on that post. His boat does not have a poling platform because its a bay boat not a skiff. He has switched to a bay boat to be able to run to areas where the fish are on days when its not doable in a skiff.
It sounded like he got rid of his poling skiff all together? Either way, I do hope others have had better experiences than I. Additionally, I don't mean in any way to bash a well known guide, but I've got no other data points to pull from. With the amount of money spent on both trips, I expected a much more professional experience, especially from someone with his skill level and notoriety in the LA fishing world.

Matt Paluch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've had good experiences with Brandon Keck. A few years ago, I made a Mardi Gras popper that was pretty neat and donated it to him. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.