New Opportunity?

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I read shad is quite good tasting. The issue is the number of bones they have.

Tilapia was once considered trash fish but now, due to marketing, is highly recommended Is shad next?
Tilapia can be passed off as shitty catfish. Similar muddy taste but worse to nasty, if compared to farmed catfish (pond-raised and fed cornmeal).

I can't remember the literary reference, but I do recall some mention of "shad roe" somewhere during my English degree education. Negative connotation slander? Maybe a substandard caviar?

So long as shad isn't a toxin aggregator, I'd be willing to catch, kill, and eat the bastards at least once.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
To the Sacramento River.
They have been migrating northward for many years now.
I know I have a fish ID book, dating back by decades, that stated that Stripers are in the Columbia River. "Have been..."

So how about Willapa Bay and Gray's Harbor? Dreaded thoughts.

RCF

Life of the Party
Tilapia can be passed off as shitty catfish. Similar muddy taste but worse to nasty, if compared to farmed catfish (pond-raised and fed cornmeal).

I can't remember the literary reference, but I do recall some mention of "shad roe" somewhere during my English degree education. Negative connotation slander? Maybe a substandard caviar?

So long as shad isn't a toxin aggregator, I'd be willing to catch, kill, and eat the bastards at least once.

I was in Wichita on a business trip. Made a lot of trips there. One night at local restaurant I was reviewing the menu and one entrée was Wichita River salmon. HUH?. That river is wide, slow, muddy and very warm. Did not make any sense at all. Found out it was catfish but an ode to us PNW travelers and our favorite fish. I did not order it ---> just not a fresh salmon. BTW catfish is great. I learned that living in Alabama a number of years...

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I was in Wichita on a business trip. Made a lot of trips there. One night at local restaurant I was reviewing the menu and one entrée was Wichita River salmon. HUH?. That river is wide, slow, muddy and very warm. Did not make any sense at all. Found out it was catfish but an ode to us PNW travelers and our favorite fish. I did not order it ---> just not a fresh salmon. BTW catfish is great. I learned that living in Alabama a number of years...
Slight caveat, good catfish can be great, better than any tilapia I have ever had, but I’ve also caught and cooked some bad catfish (big ones from a GA bass pond with fish feeders were the worst).
I wonder if wild tilapia from a system with good water quality are good to eat. I bet they are.
I’ve lightly breaded and fried up some shad roe. It was good, nothing like caviar, more like, well, cooked eggs. Seafoody eggs. Great with some hot sauce, lemon juice, homemade tartar and whatnot.

RCF

Life of the Party
Slight caveat, good catfish can be great, better than any tilapia I have ever had, but I’ve also caught and cooked some bad catfish (big ones from a GA bass pond with fish feeders were the worst).
I wonder if wild tilapia from a system with good water quality are good to eat. I bet they are.
I’ve lightly breaded and fried up some shad roe. It was good, nothing like caviar, more like, well, cooked eggs. Seafoody eggs. Great with some hot sauce, lemon juice, homemade tartar and whatnot.

I have had some very good tilapia. It just does not compare to good catfish. Does not even come close...

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I haven't eaten catfish a ton, and none that I've caught myself, but I have always enjoyed it quite a bit. Tilapia on the other hand, well, I've never eaten tilapia that I enjoyed even a little.

I wouldn't mind fishing for shad sometime, and I'd definitely try eating it at least once. Roe on the other hand, I'll pass. I just can't do roe.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That should be just before the Tarpon show up

Bring on the climate change. What we need is some non marketable sport species. These salmon can't hang with our managers and the appetite for fish in Kansas.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I haven't eaten catfish a ton, and none that I've caught myself, but I have always enjoyed it quite a bit. Tilapia on the other hand, well, I've never eaten tilapia that I enjoyed even a little.

I wouldn't mind fishing for shad sometime, and I'd definitely try eating it at least once. Roe on the other hand, I'll pass. I just can't do roe.

Tilapia are gross. If you think farming salmon is gross you need to check out the mud pit they grow tilapia in. They are one step above eating the bugs.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
The farms raise pigs, shrimp and tilapia...
They only feed the pigs.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I know I have a fish ID book, dating back by decades, that stated that Stripers are in the Columbia River. "Have been..."

So how about Willapa Bay and Gray's Harbor? Dreaded thoughts.
A paper or book written by Livingstone in late 1800's (I believe)... ;-)

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Tilapia are gross. If you think farming salmon is gross you need to check out the mud pit they grow tilapia in. They are one step above eating the bugs.
I installed a tilapia processing plant in Costa Rica about a decade ago. The “ponds” where they raised fish was more mud than water. It was just a sea of backs and fins from bank to bank. Absolutely sickening. I spent a few months getting that operation going and have never even considered eating tilapia an option since.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I installed a tilapia processing plant in Costa Rica about a decade ago. The “ponds” where they raised fish was more mud than water. It was just a sea of backs and fins from bank to bank. Absolutely sickening. I spent a few months getting that operation going and have never even considered eating tilapia an option since.
The word "Tilapia" means swims in shit in Africa.

That's just how it is these days up in them U-HAUL FISH lots. You get these guys swimming around putting dead fish on hooks!!! Its a 'get these guys out of here with a fish' mentality!! Someone do what I say!!!!!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Funny! I was in Wichita once, which was plenty, at a restaurant where the specials were local steak or a saLmon (L was not silent). Having spent 11 hours to fly to Wichita, I asked if the salmon was wild caught. The waitress looked at me like I was an idiot and sagely informed me that it “was farm-raised, like all saLmon”.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I once did a story on a combination pig/tilapia farm.

Pigs were kept on cement slabs that drained everything into gutters. The gutters ran into the tilapia pool.