N. Idaho

I was on the river twice this week...one guide trip and a casual float with my wife. The river is still cold but flowing at levels we would expect to see in a few weeks from now. Currently, there are very few bugs hatching. Terrestrials are starting to show up and we should be seeing caddis pop any day. Yesterday, I fished a beetle and ant exclusively,B6F3E751-C1E4-43DD-88D2-586AA0B20BA7.jpeg19966A82-E72D-4B77-870D-2C824D18F37D.jpegDB7F80A3-6FA1-47F6-AE6C-3C91B872BCEC.jpeg the fish didn‘t seem to care that it’s early…they ate them all day.

Thursday we did a trip for two dads and their six kids. I ended up with two young boys in my boat, one was 10 and the other was 9. Neither of the boys had ever cast a fly rod. One of the boys had never fished...I learned about all of this in the shop parking lot as I was meeting them. I was NOT prepared to fish two young boys. Fortunately, one of the other guides had a spinning rod in his boat and I gladly grabbed it along with a few maribou jigs. This wasn’t his first kid rodeo😂.

First of all, these two boys were incredibly well behaved, both of them were very smart and had amazing vocabularies. One of the boys was a straight up assassin with that spinning rod and jig. He crushed everyone in the 4 boat party…if it had been a contest he would have won it walking away. The kid caught 3 fish over 18”! His Family is from TX, he claimed to fish for bass all the time and I believe him. I did a few things that I never do on a guide trip (let the clients row the boat) and we had a blast. Those kids made me better and I will forever have two things in my boat…1- a spinning rod 2- more snacks than you could ever imagine needing.