N. Idaho....Again

I was able to get back out on Sunday. I started the day the same as I did on Friday...looking for new or different water than the two or three wintering areas that I have been fishing the last month. The first stretch looked good and I did hook one really big fish (got it close but lost it) swinging a streamer but I only got one or two more grabs in almost a mile of river. I gave a few other spots a go to no avail. Eventually, I decided I wanted to catch a fish before going home so I headed back down river to fish a couple spots that I know hold fish.

The first spot was the big eddy that had the giant school in it on Friday. The school was still there and feeding, but so were 5 or 6 guys. It was cool to talk to those guys about it...we were all thoroughly impressed by the sheer volume of fish in that school. The next spot was empty so I got out and fished it. As soon as I got there the fish were up and feeding. I decided to run my already rigged stone fly and pheasant tail set up through the run. I hooked up on my first cast and then again on the next 3 casts in a row :giggle:. It was 4:00pm by the time I got to the spot. I fished it for about an hour...netted 12-15 decent fish and headed home.

I caught quite a few fish over the weekend. I also spent 2/3's of my time fishing water that looked good but held a few more fish than the mud puddle in my driveway. It is still winter, despite what the calendar says. The majority of fish are still in their winter holding water. I'm excited for the weather to turn and spread those fish out.