My river is cooking!

Smalma

Life of the Party
Tomorrow the first of September the main Stillaguamish will re-open for game fish since closing the end of January. By early September the sea-run cutthroat is typically very good, and I was hoping to be able to hit a spot or two and hopefully catch a few of those wonderful fish. While concern with the warm days I was hopeful the cooler nights (temps in the mid to low 50s) would allow for a dawn to mid-morning trip. Normally in these conditions I would find temperatures below my 65 degree cut-off until late morning. This AM I stop by the river where I had hoped to fish to take the temperature. In nice flowing riffle at 8 AM the water temperature was 74 degrees!

Needless to say, given the stress the fish are currently under any thoughts of fishing have to be delayed until the weather changes.

Curt

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Wow! That is warm! Go fish the intertidal area with a boat at high tide. That area should be much cooler and loaded with fish if the upper river is in the 70s.

Pescaphile

Steelhead
This is unrelated, but was eye opening to me.

We just ran our old boat back up to Alaska. The water temperature (measured approximately 2 feet deep) in the Strait of Georgia just north of Nanaimo in early August (I'd have to check the log for the date) was 75°F!! Probably needless to say, the weather was HOT!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
We have two streams that close today, and I stayed home and watched the boys because of temperatures.

kerrys

Ignored Member
Pretty warm Curt. I’ve had my eye on the Skagit but it doesn’t want to clear up. Haven’t taken its temperature yet. You got me curious.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I was wet wading the North Fork of the Sauk this weekend. It was cold enough to hurt, and clear as air. Felt good.
How high were you on the N/F ? I used to fish it a lot when I lived in Washington. But I fished it above the falls. There access there but you have to hunt for it.

smc

Guppy Chow
How high were you on the N/F ? I used to fish it a lot when I lived in Washington. But I fished it above the falls. There access there but you have to hunt for it.
Well above the falls - at a place I call the "Joey Dog Hole". Someone has buried their pups over the years off in the woods there. One of the grave markers says "Joey Dog".

Here's a fairly recent picture. I didn't take any on my last visit. It was just too pretty. Has changed a lot though, the floods last November really did a number.

joey.jpg

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I really need to spend more time on the S rivers and less on my poor beat up N river.

Still, 74 degrees is going to keep me from the Stilly for a while.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
This is unrelated, but was eye opening to me.

We just ran our old boat back up to Alaska. The water temperature (measured approximately 2 feet deep) in the Strait of Georgia just north of Nanaimo in early August (I'd have to check the log for the date) was 75°F!! Probably needless to say, the weather was HOT!
Also unrelated:
How was it crossing the Nanaimo bar? I’ve heard it can be kind of nutty.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
74 doesn’t surprise me. I took the dogs down the hill for a swim in the NF last week and while I didn’t have a thermometer, the river felt like bath water.

Termites are flying, geese are moving, almost the best time of the year.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
The lower Stilly being warm on September 1st is not unusual. Cutthroat move below small creek and spring inflows during warm water conditions. The forecast shows 70s and morning clouds, which is comforting for cutthroat anglers.