Muskie Monday?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
It's just like steelheading but with fish around. It's not hard. It's pretty simple. Yet it's not easy.
That's one of many reasons I like it better than steelheading....at least I know I'm fishing over fish. Doesn't always mean they'll cooperate, but they're there.
That would help me if the fisheries happened at the same time.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
That would help me if the fisheries happened at the same time.
well, the muskies are still there right now....

Of course, you'll have a better shot at catching a steelhead in a river with one in the mile of river your fishing.

That said, I've been fortunate enough to catch tigers in 10 out of 12 months of the year (I'm still missing Dec & Feb--likely 2 of the 3 hardest months).

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
well, the muskies are still there right now....

Of course, you'll have a better shot at catching a steelhead in a river with one in the mile of river your fishing.

That said, I've been fortunate enough to catch tigers in 10 out of 12 months of the year (I'm still missing Dec & Feb--likely 2 of the 3 hardest months).

That's better than I've done. I think I've caught them eight months of the year.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
That's better than I've done. I think I've caught them eight months of the year.
I think December is VERY doable, but man, February....ugh. I almost went yesterday, but then I looked at the high of 38 up there with a water temp of 40 (or likely below right now)....

It should be noted that I've only gotten one in January though...in my 7 years of targeting them (only 3-4 trying during the winter months), god damn was that fucking cool.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Here's a special one for tiger Tuesday

kHkpXno.jpg

Last edited:

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’ve used the clips and like them a lot from a convenience standpoint. But agree the clips (and wire leaders) definitely affect how the fly swims.I have been using clips for a few years and Im not sure it has affected my catch rate but my last 2 years have been least successful seasons but I think from a variety of other reasons (Muskie fishing less and bass fishing more, poor water conditions and time on the water). I tend to Muskie fish in fall and winter but have been trying other stuff the past few years.

gear guys get real particular about their bite leaders specifically for jerk and glide baits (many go to fluoro leaders and even down size the size too) because of how clips and wire affect those big baits

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
When I was a lot younger and read Field and Stream a lot. I dreamed of fishing for these big Tiger Musky and big Bass. But as I got older my dream went away. I got to like using a 3wt and just fishing small skinny water. All young men have dreams, but when you get older, you shelve those dreams and look for the easiest way to fish.

I have found it. I sit in a camp chair on the edge of a hole. I have a net close by and I cast out into the stream and let my dry drift into said hole. I might catch something or I might not. What is the goal you all ask. Getting out is the drug. Getting out and away from it all. I usually like to take pictures of the mountains, the Skinny water, the trees, and the sky. I'm really happy when I'm by my lonesome. But lately I have been falling down. Wife don't want me out by myself anymore. I know that's sad, But it's life. I'm just about to sneak out by my lonesome.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Jim, sounds like plunking and fly fishing had a baby. I really want to try this.

Slimy Deck

Watch your step
I’ve used the clips and like them a lot from a convenience standpoint. But agree the clips (and wire leaders) definitely affect how the fly swims.I have been using clips for a few years and Im not sure it has affected my catch rate but my last 2 years have been least successful seasons but I think from a variety of other reasons (Muskie fishing less and bass fishing more, poor water conditions and time on the water). I tend to Muskie fish in fall and winter but have been trying other stuff the past few years.

gear guys get real particular about their bite leaders specifically for jerk and glide baits (many go to fluoro leaders and even down size the size too) because of how clips and wire affect those big baits

Jumping in, not as a musky afficienado (boated 3 on fly but don't live where they do), but one who chases toothy critters periodically. Several years ago I wanted to play with some big cudas on the fly that were visible in an area where tarpon would come through. They can get really wary if they're targeted, especially in clear water. They'd eat a fly on fluoro but cut the leader clean every time, and would not eat one when using standard steel leader with swivels and snaps. Then I discovered titanium leader that's knottable and doesn't kink, and is supple enough not to destroy a fly's action. They didn't know that game, and it was on. I've also used it for sharks, and keep some in my SW bag. Cost is about $1/ft so not unreasonable for a 3' tippet.

Have you guys used the stuff?

1645740907567.png

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Jumping in, not as a musky afficienado (boated 3 on fly but don't live where they do), but one who chases toothy critters periodically. Several years ago I wanted to play with some big cudas on the fly that were visible in an area where tarpon would come through. They can get really wary if they're targeted, especially in clear water. They'd eat a fly on fluoro but cut the leader clean every time, and would not eat one when using standard steel leader with swivels and snaps. Then I discovered titanium leader that's knottable and doesn't kink, and is supple enough not to destroy a fly's action. They didn't know that game, and it was on. I've also used it for sharks, and keep some in my SW bag. Cost is about $1/ft so not unreasonable for a 3' tippet.

View attachment 6576
Never but maybe have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

View attachment 6576
Really heavy and stiff

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
fortunately tigers, muskies, pike don't have the cutting teeth like cudas but more grabbing teeth, which is why heavy fluoro works really well for them.

Msaville

Tackle Tart
Forum Supporter
Gave tiger musky a try summer before last. Had many of them smile at me from next to the boat but none seemed to want my fly.😂 I guess it’s time to get serious and try again this year. It still looks like a worthwhile endeavor.